News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Bicolor LED

Started by soggybag, March 22, 2005, 07:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soggybag

I'm just finishing up my Double D and I have built it with two 3PDT switches and want to use a bicolor LED as per the diagrams Runoff Groove (great site thanks guys).

From the look of the diagram there it seems the bicolor LED must have three leads. I have one with two leads would it be possible to use this instead?

Paul Marossy

Yes, but I don't think it's as easy to wire as the three lead bi-color LED...

Hal

im racking my brain - I'm probably being dense, but I don't think you can do this, without some other sort of switch (relay, transistor, logic, etc)

I think my best suggestion is to just buy another 2-color LED they're not that expensive or too hard to find that it woul dbe worth making the other one work.

soggybag

I don't think this can be done either. I starting to think I should either get another LED (bicolor with three leads) or use two LEDs.

Paul Marossy

I looked at the sewing machine pedal A/B box that I built a few years ago. It has a two-lead bi-color LED, and I used a DPDT switch to reverse the polarity in addition to a DPDT for signal switching. In other words, I had to use two DPDT switches.

It's a whole heck of a lot easier to use a 3-lead bi-color LED w/ a 3PDT switch.  8)

ryanscissorhands

Or you can just two leads off of a tri-color. Bit of a waste, but still an option if you can find some.

I have some bi-color and tri-color LED's coming with my futurelec assorted "bench-stocking" order. I can let you know how they are if you want.