tone pot (low pass filter) on a pedal?

Started by rockthebass, March 22, 2005, 09:21:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockthebass

i was reading about converting a guitar pedal to a bass pedal and read that you should start by lowering the output cap value so it got me thinking... couldnt you put like a guitar lowpass filter (tone) on there to adjust when you want?  i know it wouldnt be feasible in all pedals, just ones where the output frequency range is high.  i would like to try it out, but i dont know what value pot to use (or cap for that matter) and more importantly i dont have any pedals built  8) thought i would throw the idea out to you guys though... it seems EVERYTHING has been tried before so im sure someone has already thought of that seeing as how its real simple

my parts for the bronx cheer and orange squeezer will be here tomorrow, so wish me luck!

petemoore

Simple mods and tricks IIRC in Arons stompbox 'site' [not the forum] shows a 10k from signal path through a cap [.1uf ~ or so] to ground.
 This rolls off highs. I put one of these onthe output of a FF recently.
 Larger caps rolloff more highs 'n mids, smaller caps start rolloff at a higher frequency and will rolloff less...I left the wire off of the 10k to wrap on a cap lead, then 'hooked the cap to ground, to try different values before soldering the cap in.
 I used bipolar caps.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

rockthebass

cool, i knew someone had already came up with it lol

let me correct myself real quick though---i meant a high pass filter, not low pass

Ed G.

Quote from: rockthebassi was reading about converting a guitar pedal to a bass pedal and read that you should start by lowering the output cap value so it got me thinking... couldnt you put like a guitar lowpass filter (tone) on there to adjust when you want?  i know it wouldnt be feasible in all pedals, just ones where the output frequency range is high.  i would like to try it out, but i dont know what value pot to use (or cap for that matter) and more importantly i dont have any pedals built  8) thought i would throw the idea out to you guys though... it seems EVERYTHING has been tried before so im sure someone has already thought of that seeing as how its real simple

my parts for the bronx cheer and orange squeezer will be here tomorrow, so wish me luck!

Creating a lowpass filter is not the same as increasing the size of the output cap, which in this case, acts as a highpass filter. Increase the size of the output cap, you lower the point of the highpass filter, and at some point, all of the bass frequencies will be let through.
There are ways to make adjustable highpass filters, check out Aron's FAQ for that.

petemoore

SAhort answer is
 Any caps in the signal path...if the signal goes through the cap, making the uf value smaller cuts more highs, of course that depends on...R/C etc.
 Just start around the value of what you're starting with, decreasing.
 Some peoples schematics start at the beginning, preventing the amp from amping the lower freqs, others let lots in by having a large input cap like 10uf, and small output cap like .0033uf ... I forget which metal guys pedal it was...Zach W's or Yngwe's had this going on.
 Alot of schematics have 'evenly' values HF rollof [In SP, seriesed caps] caps...only a small interval of value change through the IN/OUT and staging caps.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.