Anybody here familiar with the Crowthers Hot Cake pedal?

Started by Burstbucker, March 22, 2005, 10:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burstbucker

Are any of you guys familiar with the Crowthers Hot Cake pedal?  

What can you tell me about it, is it any good or is it all hype? Is it similar to some other pedal out there that is more main stream and easier to come by?

hairyandy

I have one and I like it a lot.  I have to say though that I think you could make a TS9 clone that would sound very similar or at least fill the same niche on your pedal board.
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

cd

bwanasonic

Quote from: hairyandyI have one and I like it a lot.  I have to say though that I think you could make a TS9 clone that would sound very similar or at least fill the same niche on your pedal board.

Quote from: cdIt's completely original and worth every penny.

This is a good example of why you need to try a pedal in your specific setup, with your specific ears and fingers. With just the right setup and player, the right pedal can take on a life of it's own and inspire you to make music. In another setting it may just sound like a glorified TS (despite a completely different internal topology). It all depends on what you've got, and what you're looking for.

Kerry M

MartyMart

I borrowed one for a week and was expecting great things.....
As stated, it just depends on your gtr/amp etc, but I didn't like it at all  :shock:
I found it "woolie/muddy"  and it seemed to cover the guitar's tone completely.
The only way I liked it was with the drive at zero and the presence almost flat out = "hiss" !!

Just my 2c worth,  :)

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

dosmun

I have 2 and they are my favorite low gain OD.  They sound best at low Drive settings.  They make a great Clean/Dirty boost.  I use mine with the Vol Maxed and Gain around 9 oclock into a driven amp.  The Hotcake also doesn't seem to color the sound much at all with the Presence down.  It is nothing  like a TS.  At high Gain settings it makes a great drive for slide playing.

hairyandy

Dosmun wrote:

QuoteI have 2 and they are my favorite low gain OD. They sound best at low Drive settings. They make a great Clean/Dirty boost. I use mine with the Vol Maxed and Gain around 9 oclock into a driven amp. The Hotcake also doesn't seem to color the sound much at all with the Presence down. It is nothing like a TS. At high Gain settings it makes a great drive for slide playing.

I agree that mine sounds best at low Drive settings and that it makes a great Clean/Dirty boost.  Mine is a 2nd generation (I think) with the 'Mid Lift' toggle switch instead of the newer one with the knob.

I disagree though that it sounds nothing like a TS.  I can make it sound VERY similar to my 808-converted TS9 although it has much more high-end content.  It kind of sits somewhere between my TS9 and my original Rat (which I leave on all the time at a low gain) in functionality on my pedal board.  Granted this is through my rig as bwanasonic pointed out, which is usually an old Fender Bassman of some sort.
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

aron

I really like this pedal. I have played through the first and 2nd generation and it's a great - fair priced pedal.

It doesn't sound anything like TS to me but of course it depends on the equipment.