Thicker component pads in ExpressPCB - custom library?

Started by NaBo, March 23, 2005, 04:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaBo

I've grown to love ExpressPCB.  But there's one thing that really really irks me.  The component pads are SO TINY!!!  They could get eaten through so easily left as is.  Just drilling could probably lift or break it.  and then soldering would suck.  So I've been pasting circles over each hole to compensate, and drawing squares over square holes, cuz it seems there's really no other way of thickening up those pads other than ungrouping each component and doing it invidividually.

Then it hit me.  A library of components that can be imported with thicker leads would probably be a real blessing for us folk.  So I will pose two questions:

1. Does one already exist?

2. Is anyone else interested in this?

There could also be more components added, geared towards us single-side board DIY-ers, like a set of jumpers of different lengths.  Maybe some relevant PCB-mount components... jacks, pots... and even switches, since that's come up recently.

Let me know!

Peter Snowberg

If you can work around the grid of dots it's a good idea, but when it comes to things like switches, jacks, and pots, I don't like to mount them to a board unless I have plated throughs. FAA electronics regulations require boards to be mounted to standoffs, pots and switches to be panel mounted, and wire are used for interconnect. I don't build anything that flies, but I respect aerospace construction techniques because of the solidity and detail in the designs.

Why stop at footprints? ;)

You could also add things to the library like a JFET buffer or a Blackfire stage for example. You could then create a new design out of modular components. It makes me think of building PCBs with rubber stamps. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Satch12879

Do you have ExpressPCB make your boards or do you leech off the software to etch your own? Because if you send them off for production by the company, you don't have to worry about drilling, hole sizes, traces lifting, etc.  And the resolution is awesome (it's a production house after all).  Plus you get plated through holes standard on every type of board they make.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

O

I don't know how many people use ExpressPCB. I tried the other 2 or 3 layout programs and it took me forever +1 just to throw something useable together. I think most people are put off by having to do 4 extra steps to be able to print their own, but that's a whole other story. Maybe, if enough people are interested, we could write short articles on how to better use ExpressPCB. For now, if anyone wants some thicker pads, read below...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to make your own here's how...

1- Highlight the component. Click on Component
2- Click on Ungroup PCB Component.
3- Once the component has been ungrouped, you can move one piece of a certain layer at a time.
4- Click on the Circle or Arc button. The settings I use are: Radius=0.040, Line=0.030. You can experiment with the thickness settings. Remember to add the new pad to the correct layer.
5- Once the new component has the correct pads, highlight the whole component.
6- Click on Component and then on [/b]Group PCB Component[/b]. (Click OK on the window that pops up).
7- Click somewhere on a part of the workspace. Click on the component again.
8- Click on Component. You are going to want to save the custom component, so click on that.
9- Name the new component with a new name. Remeber this name so that you won't accidentaly use the wrong component. I use a ( _ ) at the beginning of the name, so when I pull up the list, it's at the top.

Let me know if I left something out...

moosapotamus

Quote from: NaBoSo I've been pasting circles over each hole to compensate, and drawing squares over square holes, cuz it seems there's really no other way of thickening up those pads other than ungrouping each component and doing it invidividually.

Then it hit me.  A library of components that can be imported with thicker leads would probably be a real blessing for us folk.
Like O wrote... Create your own custom components.

I don't bother with the circle or arc button. I just replace the small stock pads with bigger ones.

Also, when you save a new custom component, it shows up in the custom section of the component library, not with all the standard library components. So, don't worry too much about naming conventions. If you try to save a custom component with a name that already exists, the program will warn you.

As for sharing custom component libraries for ExpressPCB, I haven't tried this myself, but if you look in the directory where ExpressPCB is installed, you will find folders for all of the different component libraries. One of them is named "PCBComponents_Custom." The files in that folder can probably be shared between users. :wink:

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

NaBo

Mmhmm, that's the plan.  If someone were to go through and pad-fatten for all the stompbox-related parts, they could just post that library somewhere and everyone could skip all the quick-fixes we end up doing at the end.

Even if you do get your PCBs made by them, the thicker pads should be a bit easier to solder.  GGG-size ones are nice, even when your iron's getting dull.

I volunteer for the job... in a month though.  Essays and exams must edge out the electronics and fun for a bit   :wink:

Say Charlie, did you still want the Express file for the layout I made for the modified AC-2?  I posted asking for your e-mail in that thread (the contact button on your site comes up blank) but you never replied.

bwanasonic

Easy pad size changing in ExpressPCB:

-Create a pad on the board the size you want.
-select all the components you want to change the pads on.
-Shift right-click the pad you made to bring up the "pad properties" menu. -The size of the last pad you selected will be highlighted, so click OK.

If you have components with both square and round pads (polarized caps, ICs) , you need to ungroup the part, change the pad sizes, and regroup it. Then save your new components as custom and add them to favorites for easy use. 0.062" with .029" holes works fine for component pads (if you have Express PCB make the boards) , but a larger pad (.080" with .035") is advised for anything you want to be able to put 22-24 gauge wire into. I tend to use .030 for general traces, and .040 for gnd/power. Maybe those of us who use ExpressPCB can use the new *schematics and layouts* forum for an app-specific area? I have a ton of schematics in native format, and a number of verified layouts. Personally, I only build my own layouts, but I have no problems sharing them.

Kerry M

O

Quote from: bwanasonic...Maybe those of us who use ExpressPCB can use the new *schematics and layouts* forum for an app-specific area? I have a ton of schematics in native format, and a number of verified layouts. Personally, I only build my own layouts, but I have no problems sharing them.

Kerry M

Oooh... that sounds cool!  :D

amz-fx

NaBo,

I'm with you....  I hate the tiny pads that leave a thin ring after you drill out the hole.  They lift too easily if you get them hot.

I use Eagle so I made a custom library of all the parts that I commonly use with fat pads. I also put AMZ in the description of each set so when I am placing components I can call up only the ones I made by using AMZ for a search term.  I used the custom library when I made the pcbs for sale on my site.

regards, Jack

ESPguitar

Quote from: OI don't know how many people use ExpressPCB. I tried the other 2 or 3 layout programs and it took me forever +1 just to throw something useable together. I think most people are put off by having to do 4 extra steps to be able to print their own, but that's a whole other story. Maybe, if enough people are interested, we could write short articles on how to better use ExpressPCB. For now, if anyone wants some thicker pads, read below...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you want to make your own here's how...

1- Highlight the component. Click on Component
2- Click on Ungroup PCB Component.
3- Once the component has been ungrouped, you can move one piece of a certain layer at a time.
4- Click on the Circle or Arc button. The settings I use are: Radius=0.040, Line=0.030. You can experiment with the thickness settings. Remember to add the new pad to the correct layer.
5- Once the new component has the correct pads, highlight the whole component.
6- Click on Component and then on [/b]Group PCB Component[/b]. (Click OK on the window that pops up).
7- Click somewhere on a part of the workspace. Click on the component again.
8- Click on Component. You are going to want to save the custom component, so click on that.
9- Name the new component with a new name. Remeber this name so that you won't accidentaly use the wrong component. I use a ( _ ) at the beginning of the name, so when I pull up the list, it's at the top.

Let me know if I left something out...

Thanks, O..

That had been great with some good articles:)

Anyone Photocopying PCB's here? With UltraViolet light?

RB