Question about building LofoMofo

Started by robotboy, March 23, 2005, 12:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotboy

In the following circuit, can I mount the 1N5817 diode directly on the 500k pot? Also, it says to pick a noise enhanced 2N2222 transistor to enhance background hiss. All I have is a brand spankin' new 2N2222. Is this going to diminish the pedals lofi properties? Where does one find "old low hFE" transistors? I'm guessing that most of the magic in this circuit is in the 220pF cap, so I should be ok.

Dragonfly

Quote from: robotboyIn the following circuit, can I mount the 1N5817 diode directly on the 500k pot?

yes

QuoteAlso, it says to pick a noise enhanced 2N2222 transistor to enhance background hiss. All I have is a brand spankin' new 2N2222.

all Tim is saying is that the 2N2222, by todays standards, is a fairly noisy transistor....so yours will work perfectly :)

robotboy

Wow, thanks for the fastest response ever! BTW, I'm going to be building your sparkleboost in the very near future because it looks sweeeet. Is the sparkle similar to that of the zvex SHO, or is it an entirely different animal?

Ge_Whiz

Ah so! Maybe Mr Dragonfry wish to avoid that question, glasshopper...  :wink:

Dragonfly

Quote from: robotboyIs the sparkle similar to that of the zvex SHO, or is it an entirely different animal?

different beasts entirely ....the SHO is a mosfet based booster, and the Sparkle is a fet based booster .

:)

Dragonfly

Quote from: Ge_WhizAh so! Maybe Mr Dragonfry wish to avoid that question, glasshopper...  :wink:

i....now......know...the true nature.....of your...being.

you....killed my ...father...and i ....shall....avenge....him.

:D

Dragonfly

BTW...if you look in the "Layout Gallery" linked at the top of the page, and go to the "Dragonfly" folder, you'll find layouts for both the LofoMofo and the Sparkle Boost.

I'd do a SHO layout, but somehow i'm thinking Zach wouldn't like that much :)

jmusser

I have a question about the LofoMofo myself. What use does this circuit have? When I built it, I was hoping to get a very thin fuzz out of the deal, but all I got was this circuit that changes any decent tone to crap. Of course, this is exactly what it's supposed to do, and how it is advertised, but why would you ever want this?
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Dragonfly

Quote from: jmusserI have a question about the LofoMofo myself. What use does this circuit have? When I built it, I was hoping to get a very thin fuzz out of the deal, but all I got was this circuit that changes any decent tone to crap. Of course, this is exactly what it's supposed to do, and how it is advertised, but why would you ever want this?

different people have different tastes...you or i might not like the lofomofo, but the guy who's into sonic youth and radiohead might find a use for it....

:D