Looking for a Hot tube sound with FET..

Started by mathflan, March 24, 2005, 04:18:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathflan

HI,

I'd like to have a effect that sound like a hot tube distortion.

I don't want a huge distortion, just a little like blues sound.

I saw some schematics with J201 but what do you advice me to build?
-----------------------------------
http://sounddiy.free.fr
-----------------------------------

d95err

Go to www.runoffgroove.com and listen to all the sound samples. Pick the one you like best.

Nikolay

LivingDeadPunk

A modified guv'nor can give a very nice tube-like tone.
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

petemoore

Tube= like...whatever that 'really means...
 One of my favorite non=heavy DIST sounds, real mellow 'old school...think young Englishmen in knickers circa late 50's-60's...just before FF's n such, when a guitar sounded like 'strings'...lol...
 Low voltage Distortion. I've got a few of them, a profound 'softness', not found in most or all of my 9V PS circuits, has been attained using LM317 voltage regulators, AMZ's LV circuits, also a MiniBooster.
 I've been using and recommending them.
 Quite different, EZ to wire, may need some biasing attention, work well with others, low noise, another 'hue' in the 'tone pallete'.
 I have the 317 'limited' to a voltage range which allows tonal variations and maintains almost good bias [at least it doesn't shut things down...the knob has like a 'misbais' part of it's range], and the knob is on top of the box...two of the LV circuits are in there, the 'second' I use one or two diodes for 'extra' voltage drop...it 'limbos' at lower voltage...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

guitarhacknoise

I perfed up a Grace Overdrive (R.O.G.)
last night after getting lost in the "zone o' tone"
It's actually lm386 based, but the fet buffer is what makes it happen.
Real nice,  subbed input and output caps to my liking of course.
it is "touch sensitive" and really carries those billy G. style pinch harmonics great!

and its Radio shack friendly (not that I am) so you could whip one up some rainy sunday afternoon and jam yer misery away!

-matthias
"It'll never work."