Theremin MIDI kit

Started by Paul Perry (Frostwave), March 24, 2005, 04:43:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

April 2005 Silicon Chip mag (Australia) has a theremin designed as a MIDI controller, with a LCD display & option to set various controller output etc.
Personally, I had trouble with the original SC theremin, but others have done just fine with them.
I assume one or other of the kitset suppliers (Jaycar or Altronics) will carry it. Final part next month.

loscha

kit would go well next to my Yamaha PTX8 drum triggers we got this week on ebay.
I'll have to keep an eye out, and see if the kit is cost effective.

I don't keep up with Silicon chip much, cause I find a lot of what they write to be totally useless to me, but, sometimes, they have some gems. I gotta rifle through the 12 copies I got at an op shop one day.
There will have to be some audio in there somewhere.
EA did a good phaser circuit in the 70s, I've got that issue too.

/end ramble/
which part of sin theta plus index times sin theta times ratio do you need me to clarify to you?

mikeb

If it's based on the same circuit as the other one ... meh, I've tried twice now with the original and can't it working worth a damn.

Mike

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Mike, are you sure it is based on the same circuit?
I thought the other one was a beat frequency method, where this one is usign slope detection? (I could be wrong..)

In any case, the present one has a pic with 3 control voltage inputs, so you could scrap the theremin front end & use optical, or any other method.
Even (for the brave & masochistically inclined) you could take a blue box type front end & run the square wave to a tachometer style pitch to voltage converter & run that in!! and also send the original signal to an envelope follower!! and run the envelope in as well!

Oh yes, it's going to be a loooong winter here in Melbourne Australia :roll:

troubledtom

what the Fock !
      - tt

ESPguitar

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)April 2005 Silicon Chip mag (Australia) has a theremin designed as a MIDI controller, with a LCD display & option to set various controller output etc.
Personally, I had trouble with the original SC theremin, but others have done just fine with them.
I assume one or other of the kitset suppliers (Jaycar or Altronics) will carry it. Final part next month.

Link to the factory??

Thanks,

RB

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: ESPguitarLink to the factory??RB

?? not sure what you mean??
here's a link to Silicon Chip mag but you have to buy the mag to get the circuit (or subscribe digitally)

www.siliconchip.com.au

I don't know yet who will be manufacturing the kits.

niftydog

I've built two of those Theremins from Jaycar/Dickies. They both worked for me, although one sounded much better than the other. Admittedly it took some fancy finger work to tune the slugs to just the right position.

I'm real keen to do this project, I've drooled over the bob moog creations for years now, finally a chance to build my own without having to develop the software! Woo!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)