...Must Make Sense..

Started by petemoore, March 26, 2005, 02:02:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Just seems wierd.
 Plugging into a Tychobrahe Octavia, the note only lasts 'so' long, then it sounds like nothing comes through, sounds cool with the splatty octave...No ComplainO'...but
 When I turn on a Fuzz after it, all kinds of sustain and Octa-Ring effects happen.
 Before the Tycho, it would make more sense that the sustain would be better, because it's driving it through the Octave circuit, I guess the Fuzz must be activated by such a small signal as to what would go 'unnoticed' by the amp.
 Either way...cool effect !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

zachary vex

fuzzes make square waves out of your signal.  octavers (upward ones) make the bottom of the wave reflect up over the zero line to the top to double up the number of waves... which works with a sine wave (guitar signal) but not so well with a square wave, which turns into basically a solid line!

the reason you're getting more sustain is probably because the fuzz keeps your amp louder all the time which keeps your guitar feeding back more, which keeps the octave in operating mode all the time.  just a guess.  8^)

petemoore

Good Guess as Guesses go !!!
 I think so ... For a long time I was running Octaves AFTER Fuzzes...I guess the Green Ringer put me on to that.
 I recently discovered that Octave becomes alot less apparent [generally speaking] with a Fuzz dumping a boosted/more Squared' wave into the Octave ['wavefolder'],{ pregain did help the Octaver.
 Lately though I've been running an OUSB or Tycho or SuperFuzz before Distortion...with very good results.
 I went as far as to put a pregain on the Tycho...that worked well for 'prefuzzing'...don't really need it though, I just Octave first now.
 So it MUST make Sense...it 'pans out' in practice anyway.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Eric H

Quote from: petemooreGood Guess as Guesses go !!!
 I think so ... For a long time I was running Octaves AFTER Fuzzes...I guess the Green Ringer put me on to that.
I've used my green ringer first in line for a long time (OD's and compressor after) . I stole the idea from stage photos of Hendrix.
Try it.

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

jmusser

Well Pete, I couldn't help notice that you like up octaves. You're going to have to build the Digital Octaver Fuzz. I didn't steer you wrong on the Jordon Boss Tone right? This one deserves Boss Tone status! It's not the same animal of course, but man it has a way huge sound like the Boss Tone. It's a raging in your face fuzz. I fired it up again before work today, and it just gets more impressive. It's just odd that I have had two amazing circuits in a row. I like all my pedals,but these two, along with the Octup Blender just stick out.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".