Original Jordon Bosstone mp3

Started by squidsquad, March 26, 2005, 04:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidsquad

I'm glad lots of you are happy w/the JB.  I've been too busy to fix mine.
But THIS is the sound I'm after: http://www.freewebs.com/squidsquad/pretty%20scream.htm

jmusser

Hey, this better be worth it!  :D I was still downloading it when I left for work. It was 56 minutes on dial up! I can hardly wait. This ought to be cool, hearing vintage stuff like this. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Peter Snowberg

Well, that was worth an hour's download! 8)

Thanks for the cool song and a sample of the real deal!
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

jmusser

Yes, worth every minute! It doesn't sound anything like my build, so I could see why you'd be dissapointed with it with your DIY. Mine's a whole lot more in your face, raging monster. Your sample had more of a tube fuzz sort of sound (to me), and a lot more mellow. Really nice! It was an especially nice recording for the period. Since you're about 7 years older than me, I would have been watching people like you at my High School dances, and wishing I was the one up there playing! :wink:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Johnny Guitar

Yeah, nice sound and a nice track :) . It kind of reminded me of Fleetwood Mac's Albatross from the late 60s, I'm not sure why but it did.

Peter Snowberg

Squidsquad,

Could you tell us a little about the recording if you can remember? Like.... type of guitar / amp / speaker configuration?

None of my Bosstone hackings from either the real or the incorrect schematics out there :? have had that sound on my bench amp.

OK, so is it possible that there are two versions (I've heard there are) and you have the 'other' version? If this isn't the difference in tone, I would guess maybe it's one of those happy accidents of gain like getting a fuzzface with a 70 - 130 pair? I wonder.... never having been able to measure transistor betas on the real deal before..... :D

I added Pretty Scream to my listening list. :D Very cool!

Johnny Guitar

Quote from: Peter SnowbergCould you tell us a little about the recording if you can remember? Like.... type of guitar / amp / speaker configuration?

Hey Peter (chiming in for Suidsquad here),

This comes from the link above:

For my cyber/buddies @ Aron's Stompbox forum:     http://www.diystompboxes.com/forums/stompboxforum/
Info & disclaimers:

Large file (3.4mb)....couldn't bear to break the continuity...haha!
Pardon the lame vocals...was learning how to multi-track.
This tape is probobly older than some of you!
Recorded in 1974.  The oxide is falling off.  It broke & was spliced.
The *flanging* was done by running two machines simultaniously....finger on the reel flange.
I didn't do a great job...but learned a lot!
Done at soft *bedroom* volume...using only my strat into the Jordon Bosstone into a Super Reverb.
(LOTS of reverb)
ENJOY the sound of the original!

Peter Snowberg

:oops: Thanks Johnny. I forgot I saw that last night.

squidsquad

Guys,
Thanks for your patience...glad you appreciate. Albatross???  I WISH!  I love that tune so much...my LA trio plays it in clubs.  I might add...much like Fuzz Faces....Jordons DID vary from unit to unit.  That recording is my second one. My first had the *voodoo*...would go from pure spankin clean (hint of bass rolloff & treble boost) to full on screaming.  I have recordings of that also...even OLDER!  Next time I'll edit...& spare you a half hour bleeding ears blues jam...HA!