tripple fuzz not very fuzzy

Started by PurpleTheory, March 26, 2005, 02:21:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PurpleTheory

hey guys,

last night i built a tripple fuzz, and although it is a little fuzzy, it's not nearly fuzzy as tim escobedo's sound clips. i wasn't sure what diodes to use so i put in 1n914's, could that be the problem? could i have some bad transistors or maybe they're not biased? i dunno.

thanks in advance for any help,
matt

Dragonfly

Quote from: PurpleTheoryhey guys,

last night i built a tripple fuzz, and although it is a little fuzzy, it's not nearly fuzzy as tim escobedo's sound clips. i wasn't sure what diodes to use so i put in 1n914's, could that be the problem? could i have some bad transistors or maybe they're not biased? i dunno.

thanks in advance for any help,
matt

the 1n914's should be fine...did you measure the voltage on your transistors ? what layout (if any) were you using ? any parts substitutions, other than the 1n914's?

andy

PurpleTheory

Hello again,

I think that the transistors are okay, i switched them out and it still sounds about the same. other than the 1n914's i didn't substitute anything else. i used the layout on Munky's site http://www.geocities.com/diygescorp/

thanks,
matt

bwanasonic

I didn't find this to be a really fussy circuit as far as bias. What transistors did you use? Any parts substitutions? I used an MPSA18 for Q1 and found pretty much any combination of PNP/NPN worked in Q2/Q3 (ended up with 5087/5089). Checked things like your guitar volume control? You should get stupid amounts of fuzz, but one of the really cool things about the Tripple is how useful it is for more subtle amounts of breakup.

Kerry M

Fret Wire

Double check your solder joints. Check you board with a magnifying glass, you may have a very slight solder bridge. Kerry wasn't kidding when he said it should have plenty of fuzz. :)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)