What drill bit sizes?

Started by Ringwraith, March 26, 2005, 05:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringwraith

What assortment of drill bits will I need for enclosures?
I don't want to buy a unibit, I'll have more use for the standard bits.
I have a drill press.

Thanks
Sean

Wild Zebra

You should get a unibit its well worth the 20 bucks.  I held out as
long as I could I didn't want to spend the money, but once I did
I was so happy.  They work amazingly well.

if you still don't and someone doesn't post soon I know this has
been a topic before so maybe a search will bring it up.
"your stripes are killer bro"

Wild Zebra

heres what robotboy says in a thread called
link for drilling enclosures (diameters for varios parts)
paste it in search and click search all terms

These are the measurements that I've been using, and they work perfectly. I yanked this from a thread titled, "stocking your bench". Don't forget to keep your drill bit well oiled.

T1-3/4 LED bezel, mini toggles - 1/4" (6mm)
T1-3/4 LED without bezel - 3/16"(5mm)
16mm pot - 9/32" (7mm)
24mm pot - 5/16" (8mm)
audio jacks - 3/8" (10mm)
footswitches - 15/32" (12mm) for a perfect fit w/o washers,
1/2" is fine if you use the white plastic washer included with 3PDT's, Carlings don't include washers.
"your stripes are killer bro"

Ringwraith

Thanks buddy, this is perfect!  :D

Sean

dosmun

Unibit is THEE way to go for enclosures especially with a drill press.  Standard bits just don't cut it.

sir_modulus

Again...I tend to disagree. You can get...dare I say...better holes with a set of straight bits (even better with a set of centretapped), a countersink, and a drill press, than with a unibit and a drill press. IF you have a centre punched holes, and you use a stepped straight bit (has a single step at the very tip, but then look like a normal bit for a clean smooth hole), they last for SO long, and if you counter sink the holes after....wow..it's just perfect. My set of good bits was like $150, and a counter sink was like $20...but it's lasted my father 30 years of drilling (and tons of wood/metal), and about 6 years of mine (including about 40-50 stompboxes). I know that a unibit is MUCH cheaper than my set...but if you really plan to do a lot of metal/woodwork...I'd say that real bits are the way I'd go. But then again...that's only my opinion. If you are nice and careful, I'm sure you can get a nice smooth hole using a unibit...but you can't say that they are better in the long run.

Just my 0.02F,

Nish

Ringwraith

The main reason I'm leaning towards straight bits is because I do woodworking as well.
I've been meaning to pick up a decent set for awhile so now that I have to drill my boxes, I figure it's a good time!
In the past I've just grabbed single bits for woodworking projects.
My inlaws bought me a cool drill press so it's time to get a good set of bits! <G>
I saw those step bits the other day & was wondering if they would be best for the boxes.
So with the stepped bits, you don't need to pre punch a start hole??

Cheers
Sean

sir_modulus

not exactly...I still prepunch, but they give a nice centred hole, and for the larger bits, they rarely ever catch, and give a really nice smooth hole!

For brands, I've been using Bosch stuff...and it's really amazing in quality, and it's not really expensive:

Countersink:
http://www.boschtools.com/accessories/accessories-detail.htm?H=176253&G=54717

Bits:
http://www.boschtools.com/accessories/accessories-detail?H=176263&G=54728&T=2&D=False

That's what I'd get..but that's just IMO

Cheers,

Nish