Torchy AMZ OD Pro, Java build report (pics)

Started by tungngruv, March 27, 2005, 12:21:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tungngruv

I bought some vero from Aron, printed off about 6 of my favorite effects and finished 2 of them today. I am really liking Vero board. Both OD Pro and Java Boost are Torchy's layouts and are now "verified". Both worked first time tried. The Java sounds way better than I expected with lots of different tones, really great design. Way more than I expected from a Treble Booster. Jacks Overdrive Pro sounds just as killer as my first one, except the layout/wiring  is way "neater" than my perfed one I did a while ago. Jack really nailed a good design with this one. Gets lots of use and has a real good, unique sound that is all it's own. Truly a "sleeper" pedal that should be much more well known. But that's cool, I have two now :wink: Anyway, both sound great, were easy to build (Thanks Torchy and Arons forum!!!!!) and fired up the first time.  :D

[/img]

petemoore

Damm Nice !!!
 Scuze the French, but they exude vibe and look to be very well built.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

mojotron

Does look sweet! What did you paint these with?

I fell off a cliff doing some mods on my OD Pro today - it did sound great initially, but then I got to putting in a sat control as described in Jack's AMZ Saturation controls paper.... adding an asymetry control as well. It's getting too late tonight - I'll have to get back to it monday. I'll let you know how it turned out... you would think 6 knobs on a box would be enough... no, no, no... I had to have 8.... :oops:

mojotron

Peter Snowberg

Sweet wiring! Those look really clean! Nice job! 8)

What process did you use for buffing the boxes?

As long as they adjust audiable parameters, the more knobs the better! :mrgreen:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

tungngruv

The insides look clean due to Torchy's vero layouts. On the outside, I just steel wooled the box, then had a Trophy shop made me some aluminum plates that I used a spray adhesive to attach to the tops of the boxes. I like them!!

tungngruv

Mojotron wrote
Quoteit did sound great initially, but then I got to putting in a sat control as described in Jack's AMZ Saturation controls paper....

I'm sure the OD Pro already has a Stauration Control so if you add another, that's two!!! Who knows though? Let me know if it sounds great!! :D

amz-fx

QuoteJacks Overdrive Pro sounds just as killer as my first one
Excellent! I'm glad you are enjoying the design.

regards, Jack

mojotron

Quote from: tungngruvMojotron wrote
Quoteit did sound great initially, but then I got to putting in a sat control as described in Jack's AMZ Saturation controls paper....

I'm sure the OD Pro already has a Stauration Control so if you add another, that's two!!! Who knows though? Let me know if it sounds great!! :D

Well, actually the saturation controls that Jack mentions in the AMZ Saturation Control paper are a different thing from the stock ODP saturation control (http://www.muzique.com/lab/sat.htm).

I have used these saturation - voltage/impeadence divider - on a few pedals and really like them for mods anywhere I have clipping diodes. On the DP1, they use a saturation control in the form of one of the one's Jack outlined in this paper. I'm trying to implement a couple of things along these lines to control how much voltage is over the diodes, perhaps with a cap to adjust the hi-freq response.... I'm now not using the original saturation control.

Gilles C

Very neat job.

And I love the front plates.

Gilles

Doug_H

I love your graphics!

My wife was going to get some amp faceplates made for me from a trophy shop. Why not pedal faceplates too? That's a really good idea. :D

Doug

modmod

before loading my oc44 in the circuit,i'd like to try something else for testing purpose first,what is the most common and easiest one to sub for the oc44 ? thanks

cd

Quote from: modmodbefore loading my oc44 in the circuit,i'd like to try something else for testing purpose first,what is the most common and easiest one to sub for the oc44 ? thanks

2N3906.  Provided you've used trimpots of course.

petemoore

That's a PNP Ge, so any/all PNP Ge should work provided the wide swings of gain/leakage per unit is 'in the pocket'...results will almost certainly vary from one Q to the next.
 Yupp 3906 will probably 'work'...nice wide term 'work'...as long as it's somewhat biased...I'd look at an LPB though for Si transitor boost ideas.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

davemw

i tryed to make from tonepad layout and it seems differnt and it dont work????

samuelk

where did you get those smaller  "chickenhead" like knobs tungngruv???

soggybag

Wow those look sharp. Did you polish the boxes or apply a plate on top of the box? I like the look of the chrome knobs.

tungngruv

Quotewhere did you get those smaller "chickenhead" like knobs tungngruv???
Hardware store "appliance knobs".... although I'm getting most everything from Smallbearelec.com  Steve's about the best for me.

QuoteWow those look sharp. Did you polish the boxes or apply a plate on top of the box? I like the look of the chrome knobs.
Trophy shops can copy a lot of artwork onto metal. I had a guy draw up the designs, the trophy shop copied them to metal "tops" that fit on top the pedal. The knobs are chrome "skull" knobs for guitar but they work fine.
BTW, I'm hung up on Joe Gagans "Skyripper" right now but I still plug Jacks OD Pro in a lot!!!!!