BSIAB2 whines

Started by bean, March 27, 2005, 07:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bean

Hi All,

I completed my BSIAB2 this morning and I'm getting some squeals out of it (seems to go away once the tone knob is adjusted). There were a couple other posts about this issue with the orginal BSIAB....the issue might be wires too close together. My build is pretty clean and the input/output wires are not close, however the wires to the pots are coiled around one another to keep it tidy.

Has anyone experienced this problem with version 2? Just checking before I start remelting all this stuff.

Thx! -bean

p.s. I'm using Torchy's stripboard layout for the project.

bean

Well I'm getting close to giving up on this pedal. I cleaned up the build, shortened up all the wires, and tried a couple different switch wirings (including input grounding) and nothing takes away the whine. Only option to use it now is to keep the gain down low where the whine goes away. Anyone have suggestions? Thx for any advice you can offer.

syzygy

Your last resort is to just start from scratch again, and it sounds like you're getting close to that point.  I'm going to build this pedal in the next few weeks.  I'm a novice at this, but using logic, if I had the extra components laying around, I would do a clean build on a breadboard to see if it sounded better, or at least different.  I call this a "sanity check" -- to give you a relatively quick build to convince yourself that the circuit is sound (no pun intended), and you're not insane (yet).  :)

How many pedals have you built in the past?  You may want to double check Torchy's veroboard layout against the original schematic at GGG to see if there are any changes at all, and so you can physically see how everything is connected up and matches up with the original circuit.  I was comparing his Chaos layout to the original, and there are some differences.  I just checked it again today and there have been some changes, but there is a resistor missing from the board (R13) that is listed on the bottom.  Just double check with the BSIAB 2 schem.  Did you use electrolytic capacitors at C9 and C11 like the schematic shows?

Aside from the noise, did your pedal sound as you expected in the sound clips?

dosmun

I have built 2 of them 1st was on a board from GGG the other was using the vero layout,  both worked fine.  I have had trouble lately with  oscillations on a TS the ZW-44 and a YYM 308 all on vero.  I used a shield input wire on the TS and it pretty much solved the problem.

Anyone else been having more oscillation problems with the vero builds?

syzygy

Bagge

Well I did experienced some noise problems with my latest build, a combinated Sparkle boost/ Blue Magic. They are build on one veroboard, with strips cut between them. I also found place for two millenium bypass'. The Sparkle boost is great, but Blue Magic adds noise. I have tried different components and so on. Today, I cut the board in two, and unsoldered BM from the board and I'm going to rebuild it. I suspect that some strips or wires just got to close, maybe power too close to output. Hopefully, I'll soon find out.

bean

Thanks for the advice, all. I threw in some shielded wire for ins and outs and that seemed to do the trick. I had no idea this pedal was such a beast for gain. Sounds great, but needs to be tamed  :D

syzygy

I didn't know that was such a problem either until I found your post.. thanks for pointing it out, now I know how to fix it too when I do my build soon  :D  Post a pic if you can!