Torchy, wich RM Axis fuzz layout?

Started by hilbi, March 28, 2005, 06:34:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilbi

I was in the middle of building the RM axis fuzz when i found out that he layout has changed on torchy's directory. The layout i first downloaded (last weeek) was 10 strips and 15 holes, now there is a different layout of the rm axis fuzz with 10 strips and 19 holes, it als says "work in progress" and looks not completed.

Is the wrong layout maybe uploaded?

please let me know wich layout to use.

thanks in advance!

Kind regards
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

Torchy

Sorry, this one .

Thats the problem with having Aron's gallery and Photobucket to update. Just got out of step  :oops:
The trannies are c-b-e top to bottom.

hilbi

great, i was already using that one  8)

Thanks Torchy!
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

hilbi

Torchy, I think i found some issues in that layout (http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album10/RM_Axis?full=1

R8, C5 and the drive and volume pot are not connected to the ground.
hilbi

Torchy

Redrawn and missing ground link put back ... :oops:

hilbi

Thanks Torchy  :D

But I think I found another issue, R6 is now connected to the ground, i think it should move a strip up, so it is connected to R2 again.

Is there a reason for leaving out the 680K resistor and the extra 22uF cap? As shown in the original schematic?
hilbi

hilbi

The new layout for the RM Axis Fuzz on torchy's directory in the layout's gallery is built and tested with success.

Verified!  8)
hilbi

col

Hilbi,

I built one of these to my own stripboard layout a while ago and didn't like the sound. I'm now wondering if I did something wrong. The actual fuzz sound was right but it was a very 'scratchy' non-sustaining unit and the drive pot put it into oscillation past half way. I checked the schematic a few times and checked and re-checked the soldering and components and even checked between connections with a multi meter but I just couldn't get it to sound good.
Is this how yours behaves or is it more like a fuzz face or tonebender type sound? I might be tempted to re-do the board if it should sound better.

Col
Col

hilbi

Hello Col,

QuoteThe actual fuzz sound was right but it was a very 'scratchy' non-sustaining unit and the drive pot put it into oscillation past half way

That doesn't sound like mine at all, mine is very sustaining. It is like a Fuzz Face type of sound only not as dark, it is very nice sounding. No osciallation.

I have a Fuzz Face as well, wich i compared it against.
hilbi

col

I'll see what I can retrieve off the board I did and re-test the transistors before I re-use them. I also might try Torchy's or Dragonfly's layout and see if that makes any difference although it shouldn't as there are no ICs that could be influenced by proximity to other components.

Col
Col