Idea For Shaka Tube

Started by Paul Marossy, March 28, 2005, 12:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

I used a 0.01uF cap to ground on the output on my last Shaka Tube build, but I feel that sometimes there is still too much high end and that it could have a little more lows. Has anyone tried changing the three 0.01uF coupling caps to 0.047uF or 0.1uF instead? I'm thinking this would give me more bass. Whaddya think?!

aron

It will work. You can try stringing resistor+caps to ground on the end or even, buffer->resistor/cap to ground multiple times.

Paul Marossy

A buffer on the output, huh? I haven't seen that suggestion before. Would that tame the highs or ?

george

I've toyed with the idea of just a buffer (with no resistor/cap to ground)...

I noticed my Shaka variant sounded smoother running through my AD-3208 with the delay level turned right down, effectively going through the AD-3208's JRC4558.

However I'm quite happy with the way it is now (with no output buffer):

.01 uf between op-amp and first valve stage -> .02uF
.01 after second valve stage -> .015uF

I also don't have any bypass caps on the valve cathode resistors, because I felt it was too bassy with them in.

I also replaced the 100K tone pot with 10K fixed resistor and 10K pot, and made the tone cap .047uF (because .01uF didn't do anything).  The tone control is a LOT less touchy now.  I also tried a 100K fixed resistor between the output cap and pot, but this made it a bit too bassy (ie muddy)

hth ... maybe just bumping up the tone cap from 0.01 to 0.047 may do the trick?

Paul Marossy

Quotemaybe just bumping up the tone cap from 0.01 to 0.047 may do the trick?

I was just thinking that while I was reading your post, george. I think I may try this first. Thanks for your insight on this one.  8)

george

no probs Paul!

I've futzed with mine for ages ... I'm thinking of putting switches all over it to switch between different coupling cap sizes,  switch cathode caps in and out :lol:  - just so it's *fully* adjustable .... :lol:  

cos I'm sure in a week's time I'm going to think "no it's just a bit *too* muddy on the neck pickup"  :?

aron

Yes, just increasing the value of the cap will work. I keep wanting to try Mark's idea of increasing the "poles" of the filter.

Paul Marossy

QuoteI'm thinking of putting switches all over it to switch between different coupling cap sizes, switch cathode caps in and out  - just so it's *fully* adjustable ....

I like versatility, too. Well, up to a point...  :wink:

mlabbee

Try coupling caps .022 or larger
Try putting the tone stack between the first and second stages (you may need to bump up the gain a little)
Try a Baxandall tone stack (see Adam's amps for a good article on tone stacks).  I've played around a bit with Baxandalls and I like them much more than anything else I've tried (although the insertion loss can be significant).

Paul Marossy

Yeah, I seem to like 0.022uF coupling caps best from my other tube projects.  8)