SupaSustain Pedal

Started by brooksblues, March 28, 2005, 12:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brooksblues

Hey I have just started looking into the idea of making my own effects pedals. I have basic knowledge about effects and about electronics. I was looking at projects to do and figured I want to make something that id like to use for my guitar playing. So I found the SupaSustain Pedal on General Guitar gadgets. Here is the link to the pedal  http://generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=123&Itemid=141

I was wandering if someone first starting out after reading up about diy effects could build this project. I also was wandering about the LED/LDR unit. They describe it on that page but I do not know what and LDR is I understand everything but that. Thanks for any help building effects looks very interesting and enjoyable.

Joe Kramer

Hi!

"LDR" stands for "light-dependent resistor."  This is a resistor whose value changes when light falls on it.  The lighter the lesser the resistance, as low as a few hundred ohms; the darker the greater the resistance, as high as several megohms.

LDRs are usually sold as "CdS cells," or Cadmium Sulfide Cells.  They used to be (and may still be) available at Radio Shack.  Otherwise most parts suppliers have them.

GGG suggests making your own LDR/LED unit, but for the Supa Sustain you could probably use the Silonex NSL-32, a premade LDR/LED in a small light-tight package.  Vactrols are very similar and may work also.

Joe
Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

brooksblues

Thanks for the help. That Silonex NSL-32 seems like it will work fine cause I cant seem to find any LDR's I checked small bear and radio shack. I even searched under the other name you said.

What about the construction of this pedal woukd it be easy enough for a beginner at pedals?

Joe Kramer

Small Bear has them listed under on the Stock page under Photocells and Photocouplers.  Optocoupler, photocouplers, photocells, LDRs, CDS cells, Vactrols--these are all more-or-less synonymous.

As far as build difficulty:  if it's your very first project, you might want to go with something that includes a printed circuitboard.  I don't mean to discourage you from making your own PCB if you intend to, but just don't try and use perfboard or something like that on your first go round.  GGG has very well-documented projects.  Seems to me if you follow the instructions, and TAKE YOUR TIME, you'll have success.  IIRC, they will help you troubleshoot the project if you do (God forbid) have problems.  You have to jump in and start somewhere--go for it!  Good luck and have fun!

Joe
Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com