Go ahead, call me a geek... BUT

Started by Hairston, March 28, 2005, 12:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

QuoteWhy would u want to know that paul?

I'm into details. And, the reaction could mean different things depending what exactly the reaction is...  :wink:

scottosan

Quote from: Hairston... when I get an e-mail with the subject:

"Your order from Mouser Electronics has shipped!"

Something happens in my pants.  :P

How many more of you have this problem?

- HB
I live 1 mile from mouser. :lol:

mojotron

Quote from: scottosan
Quote from: Hairston... when I get an e-mail with the subject:

"Your order from Mouser Electronics has shipped!"

Something happens in my pants.  :P

How many more of you have this problem?

- HB
I live 1 mile from mouser. :lol:

I live 1 mile from Warmoth and about 5 miles from USA Custom Guitars - ground zero for guitar parts!!  :D

Paul Marossy

Man, I live in the worst geographical location! There ain't nothin' here for electronics and/or guitar parts.  :x

Peter Snowberg

I've got Silicon Valley about 2 hours away (also, a neighboring town was known as Silicone Valley in the 80s :oops:), but most of the good surplus has dried up at this point. Not much for guitars around here other than a fantastic hardwood importer in Berkeley.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

puretube

Quote from: David... I have to be peeled off the ceiling if I get interrupted....

David: that ceiling seems to be big enough for the both of us... :wink:  :P

Mark F

Quote from: Hairston
Quote from: Mark FSame Here! Hairston ,I'm from Buffalo too! Do you ever go to Radio Equipment on Vulcan St. for parts? :D
I had no idea there was a local electronics distributor in the area. How well are they stocked? Better than Rat Shack I hope? :D

- HB
Yeah, they are/were much better than Rat Shack! I haven't been there in a few months. I'm assuming they're still open, they've been around more than 20 yrs. Although, as you know businesses are closing up shop here in Big B. quicker than Satch's fingers move on a fretboard! :lol:  They are kinda more geared for repairing consumer elec. but they've got chips, caps, resistors etc. Just look them up in the Yellow Pages. :) Good Luck!

Dji

...for a good place here in the DC area. I found one up in the northern 'burbs, but it's fairly ratty: lots of picked-over-pots, etc.

brad

Quote from: DavidIf I'm really involved in something, I totally disconnect from the world.  Then I have to be peeled off the ceiling if I get interrupted.  My wife has been ragging on me for years about how I need to "multitask", as she puts it.  She pulled that again this weekend.  Unfortunately, I blew up and informed her that multitasking was a crock of dung, that computers can't do it, and people can't do it either -- even if they think they can.  Probably not the most politically-expedient thing to say.  She's still mad...

It's called N.A.D.D.  -Nerd Attention Deficiency Disorder.  :D

Rands has a nice article about it on his blog:
http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2003/07/10/nadd.html

Paul Marossy

QuoteProbably not the most politically-expedient thing to say.

"Political correctness" is overrated anyway. (Actually, I have never agreed with the concept)

ninoman123

We have Gateway Electronics here in St. Louis. I like it. They know me there. I think im the only 17 year old that goes in there. lol. We have tons of distributers in the area but none of them sell retail wise. We need a thread of places to buy stuff in certain towns! Wow what a good idea! I suprise myself sometimes.

Hairston

Wow, you guys that live jogging distance from Mouser and Warmoth... Oh man, I envy you guys. :?

Although, this is probably a good thing for me. I bet if I lived near there you would find me begging for quarters in the alley near the warehouse or going through the dumpster. Yep, probabably a good thing I live so far away... :lol:

- HB

WGTP

The few, the proud, the Geek - Major Geek.com

I think a class system is evolving, the Geek and non-Geek.

Are we not Geek? - Devo

We have a lot of conflicted individuals on this forum.  On one hand you have the pompus, strutting, hip, clueless, stoned, guitar players and on the other you have the Geek.  It's difficult to manage in one head.

Then there seems to be a lot of bass players around.  They usually seem to be less strutting and more Geek.  They are more receptive to updated equipment.  More likely to understand Trig.   8)

The artist and the scientist.  What a combo.   :twisted:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

David

Quote from: WGTPThe few, the proud, the Geek - Major Geek.com

I think a class system is evolving, the Geek and non-Geek.

Are we not Geek? - Devo

We have a lot of conflicted individuals on this forum.  On one hand you have the pompus, strutting, hip, clueless, stoned, guitar players and on the other you have the Geek.  It's difficult to manage in one head.

Then there seems to be a lot of bass players around.  They usually seem to be less strutting and more Geek.  They are more receptive to updated equipment.  More likely to understand Trig.   8)

The artist and the scientist.  What a combo.   :twisted:

Oh, man, I am in trouble!  I'm a guitarist, I'm not stoned, I'm a bassist, and...
I at least used to understand trig...

Time for my one-way ticket to the rubber room!   :twisted:

Paul Marossy

QuoteAre we not Geek? - Devo

Whip it! Whip it good!!  :lol:

ninoman123

I understand trig! Thats only because I'm in trig right now. lol. Oh yes I loved the unit on graphing sine waves.

I really think the geeky guitar guys are the ones that get ahead. Look at Tom Morello (sorry if i spelled it wrong) hes not that much of a geek but he knows his gear and uses it to its full potential. I bought a whammy pedal just because of him. Or like Brian May, building his own guitar with his dad. Although I dont really like them, Linkin Park is full of nerdy guys, and they make very interesting music. Interesting in a good way. The nerdy bands always are coming up with new and exciting things, while the stoned, hot shot guys are just the corporate sell outs, who probably dont even write their own stuff or even know how to play much more than power chords.

Once I tried explaining modes to my girlfriend. Shes a drummer. It was funny to see her face. lol