Why stereo input and mono output on a stompbox?? (BSIAB2)

Started by syzygy, March 28, 2005, 10:43:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

syzygy

The BSIAB2 schematic shows a stereo input (tip ring sleeve) and mono output (tip sleeve): http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/bsiab_2_lo.gif

What advantage does the stereo input have?  And why is the output just a mono connection?

Thanks!

barret77

Hi

The stereo input works as an on-off switch; it avoids the battery to be drained when disconnected...

Pedal love

Yes this is correct. It causes a basic short/open cituation between the battery and ground as the input cable is plugged in and unplugged, causing the circuit to turn on and off.

Mark Hammer

Virtually ALL stompboxes that use a 9v battery, both commercial and DIY, employ this technique.

syzygy

Ahh, that makes complete sense. Duhhh. I've always thought of unplugging my pedals to stop battery drain, but now that I'm looking at an actual circuit, I've forgotten all about that. :)

Mark Hammer

Well that's the problem with making things look easy, isn't it.  Pretty soon people stop remembering that something actually has to HAPPEN for easy-looking things to take place.  :lol: Not to worry.  It's a big hole that many fall into.

Incubus

I told a guy I was in a band with years back, that once you plug something into the input socket on a Boss pedal, it draws current even if the actual effect is turned off.

He called me a liar.

He's not in a band anymore.

Mark Hammer

Maybe, but I'd bet he does a bitchin version of 4'33" with all those pedals plugged in!

(See moogerfooger thread)

H.Manback

:lol: let me guess, he always had to play clean at gigs :wink:

petemoore

You'llhave that, Ihad This...If the engine is spinning faster then it Uses More Gas. Period.
 I had just attempted to explain how the accelerator pedal controls a valve, and when fully released the valve is closed, only the idle valve remains open [on an old Rambler with bad brakes]...lol.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.