News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Kay Tremelo

Started by col, March 29, 2005, 02:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

col

I built this over the weekend from Dragonfly's stripboard layout and found a slight fault when compared to the schematic I have. A cut needs to be made on the second row down from the top 9 holes in from the left and a jumper from the 4th row down 8 holes in from the left (there are none available if you have used a drill to remove the trace here!) to the second row just to the right of the new gap. This isn't possible if you have used a drill to cut the traces as there are not enough holes on this area of the board. Luckily I used a dremmel to cut so I still had the hole in that group of connectors.
I also found that the choice of Transistors is very impotant. Thankfully I had socketed them and could swap until I got a good sound. The most important transistor  seems to be the one on the far right of Dragonfly's drawing where I found a BC109C or a BC184C made a HUGE difference to the quality of the sound. The second from the left (opposite orientation to the other three) also made a big difference.
The actual sound of he unit as built is probably too extreme to use much. It is a harsh on/off and very close to the sound of the guitar in X Ray Spex "Germfree Adolescence". I modified the volume pot to be a blend by connecting a wire from the input in place of the earth wire and can dial in varying degrees of the effect. The unit is much more useable and can go from the extreme sound produced by the unmodified unit to an excellent tremelo sound where you can still hear the original gitar sound as well.
Dragonfly's work saved me a lot of time sorting out my own layout for this and I probably wouldn't have done it and found a really good tremelo unit. Thanks a lot for putting the time in to do this,

Col
Col

Dragonfly

good to know...i'll make the corrections on the layout.

also, if its ok with you, i'd like to include notes about your volume pot mod and transistor selection....let me know if this is ok .

thanks !

andy

Dragonfly

Quote from: colI built this over the weekend from Dragonfly's stripboard layout and found a slight fault when compared to the schematic I have. A cut needs to be made on the second row down from the top 9 holes in from the left and a jumper from the 4th row down 8 holes in from the left (there are none available if you have used a drill to remove the trace here!) to the second row just to the right of the new gap. This isn't possible if you have used a drill to cut the traces as there are not enough holes on this area of the board. Luckily I used a dremmel to cut so I still had the hole in that group of connectors.

Col

Col,
  there is no trace cut "4th row down 8 holes in from the left" ....can you copy this diagram into paint and show me where the jumper and extra cut need to be made...i want to be sure its correct...
 thanks,
 andy

col

Please see your PM box. No problem with the info it's all on the drawing.

Col
Col