How to make simple A/B/Y box

Started by nelson, March 29, 2005, 10:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

is it just a matter of wiring 2 3pdt switches and some jacks a certain way and adding some LED's?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

casey

Quote from: nelsonis it just a matter of wiring 2 3pdt switches and some jacks a certain way and adding some LED's?

yup,

mike fuller has an a/b box schem. as well as tons of other folks..just look around...
Casey Campbell

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

lethargytartare

For an A/B, yes, but if you're gonna add the Y feature, then I'm pretty sure you need to add some circuitry (buffer) because you're splitting the signal into two and trying to recombine the two at the end.  Otherwise you're sending weaker signals to both effects loops, right?  Maybe look at the Geofex looper and see if they talk about why so much is added to their design.

nelson

I think I just need a A/B box I am using it to select channels on an old valve amp between clean(mic) inputs and overdriven(tremelo) inputs. and diff effects chains. I like the one on diyguitarist.com. I think I am going to go for that as it uses only 1 switch and I will omit the millenium bypass in favour of a 3pdt switch care of Aron :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

lethargytartare

Yeah, that'll do it -- enjoy!!  Personally I went the route of a two loop looper -- one in one out, two effects loops -- and by omitting the LED it was such a simple thing to make -- 6 mono jacks and a DPDT.  I added a second swith to "close one of the loops," but really such an easy thing to make and so practical!

cheers!

ltt

robbiemcm

I have no idea what almost all circuits do, but I have however had an idea for an A/B box type thing.

It's simple. Basically you have two DPDT switches (SPDT if you're not using LEDs, but considering what this is... it may be hard to tell what's on). The first switch sends the signal a) to the other switch which sends to i) Output A ii) Output B. The first switch also sends the signal to b) a potentiometer. The pot is wired up middle as input, one of the other metal lugs to Output A, the only remaining metal lug to Output B. So you can choose to vary the sound between outputs, or just send it to one of the outputs. It'd work best as a pedal but I just found out about how pedals are so hard to get for a decent price. The probe solution wouldnt work for this either for obvious reasons. I'm sure many of you can figure out the led solution for yourself :P