Jawari problem update (Dean, your help once more?)

Started by inverseroom, March 29, 2005, 11:07:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inverseroom

OK, I've discovered that it isn't that my Jawari doesn't work--it's that it requires an insanely hot input to get signal through.  I am beginning to suspect it's the diodes.  When I ordered the 1n34's from Mouser, it cross-referenced the 1n4454...so I used that instead.  The other diode is a 1n914.  Could this be the problem?

That ground hum is just my dumb wiring--I can figure that out myself (I hope).

Thanks a lot!

Dean Hazelwanter

Well, both the 1N914 and 1N4454 (according to NTE's downloadable cross reference) are silicon diodes. Tim's circuit calls for  2 x 1N34s, which are  *germanium*, to be connected to the output of the transformer. So yes, this could explain the difference. The 1N914 should be fine for the 1N4148 that Tim calls for.

When you saw the sparks, is it possible that you damaged the J201?

Tim Escobedo

You need germanium diodes. Regular silicon won't work. If you can't find any Ge diodes, you may have some success using Schottky diodes such as 1N5817, which are somewhat easier to find in my locale.

inverseroom

Quote from: Dean HazelwanterWell, both the 1N914 and 1N4454 (according to NTE's downloadable cross reference) are silicon diodes. Tim's circuit calls for  2 x 1N34s, which are  *germanium*, to be connected to the output of the transformer. So yes, this could explain the difference. The 1N914 should be fine for the 1N4148 that Tim calls for.

When you saw the sparks, is it possible that you damaged the J201?

It is possible, but I don't think it happened.  The problem was the same before and after.  Anyway, I bought twenty of 'em, easy enough to replace if the new diodes don't fix it.

Yeah, Dean and Tim, I did notice when I took 'em out of the bag that they were silicon.  But I figured, Mouser probably knows best.  Obviously, however, most of Mouser's customers are not making stompboxes with their parts.  :oops:

Do either of you happen to know a good source for Ge diodes?  If Steve has them I'll order a few from him.  I doubt Rat Shack will have any...

Hey thanks!  The two experts on the circuit respond within hours.  This board is a terrific resource!

Dean Hazelwanter

QuoteI doubt Rat Shack will have any...

Actually, RadioShacks here *do* stock 1N34As. I just did a search for diode on their website and found 276-1123. Ten for 3.99 ($CDN). :)

NaBo

Yeah, thats one of the things rat shack is actually good for.

If you haven't bought your manditory load of 3pdt's from Aron yet, he has 1N34A's for half the price.  :D

inverseroom

Quote from: Dean Hazelwanter
QuoteI doubt Rat Shack will have any...

Actually, RadioShacks here *do* stock 1N34As. I just did a search for diode on their website and found 276-1123. Ten for 3.99 ($CDN). :)

:shock:  Awesome!  I'll stop by tomorrow.  I need one of those gigantic knobs anyway.

Thanks again, guys--
J.