DIYers from the UK Unite!

Started by nelson, March 29, 2005, 02:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

Is there a UK small bear equivelant? I think not.

There should be!

I am looking to form a sort of pressure group lite to email/write too components suppliers in an attempt to get them to stock rare IC's transistors etc.

we can start by suggesting here

http://www.fastcomponents.co.uk/
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

lightningfingers

Personally I don't see the point, Steve's shipping rates are very reasonable......and the order ususally gets here pretty quick...
Just my opinion 8)
U N D E F I N E D

nelson

Well, Forgive me but I think the shipping charges are rather steep compared to what they would be from the UK. I love small bear dont get me wrong he provides a valuable service, very well but When I just want a few semiconductors waiting for 2+ weeks for delivery from the states plus the international shipping rates. It would be alot more convenient if there was a UK supplier available.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

TheBigMan

I generally use Banzai for stuff like that.  Cheap, in Europe and have all the semiconductors that I need.

nelson

Hi Bigman, I see you are in hamilton, not far from me, you know anywhere local to get rare and or cheap electronic components?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

col

I have used the following;

www.rapidelectronics.co.uk
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/oldradioparts/semiconductors.htm (there must be a shorter address!!!!!!)
http://wah-wah.co.uk/
I have had excellent service and very fast delivery from all three.
:D

There is also a shop I use in Bolton called Modern Radio where the staff know exactly what you want and can suggest alternatives. They don't carry everything but can be very useful and helpful.
I have also got some good items off e-bay cheap but I have also seen stuff go for stupid money there. :shock:
Col

Torchy

ESR Components North-East
NR Bardwells Sheffield

Mail order, delivery reasonable. Use them a lot.

nelson

Thanks guys all added to my favourites!! :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

TheBigMan

Quote from: nelsonHi Bigman, I see you are in hamilton, not far from me, you know anywhere local to get rare and or cheap electronic components?

Not that I know of.  I tend to use Rapid mostly, and Maplin for convenience when I need something quickly or don't want to place a big order.  I also use RS for some things.

RSH Electronics

Hi All

If you're looking for a decent range of components, give us a go: www.rshelectronics.co.uk

We have all the common stuff on the shelf and can normally kick it out the door the same day. If we don't list it drop us an email and we'll try and get you a price.

We do a whole load of Bargain Packs including a 1110 MF Resistor Kit for £9.50 and 110 Carbon Preset Pack for £9.00
Although our site is set up for UK at the moment, we can ship most orders internationally for £4.00

I've got ten years 'real world' experience in manufacture so I know which end to hold a soldering iron too!  :D

Thanks for reading
Richard
RSH Electronics

european bob

I'm a noob at this so I haven't built anything that needs any exotic components yet. I've found everything I've needed so far at maplin.
I've also bought caps and resistors from http://www.pw-electronics.co.uk/

masonator

Im new here and will probably start ordering from smallbear pretty soon.

Does anyone know at what value of goods customs starts to rob me with thier "v.a.t." and "duty" ?

nelson

you could always ask steve at small bear in the paypal note to mark the package as "gift" if you are worried about vat or duty. I know some do it as common practice :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Hey rich, I ordered your carbon resistor pack, you poly cap pack and your ceramic cap pack, aswell as a few pots and your 8 + 14 pin IC sockets. I got my delivery very quickly and I even got the ceramic cap 10pf which you forgot to include, next day. Great service, speedy delivery, and great prices, I will use again. One suggestion though, could do with listing a broader range of caps.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

RSH Electronics

Ah yes, I remember, thanks for the order.
It took me ages to pick all your resistors  :wink:

I had a delivery of 24,500 ceramic caps that was a day late, yours was one of them!

More caps? Tell me more...

nelson

Quote from: RSH ElectronicsAh yes, I remember, thanks for the order.
It took me ages to pick all your resistors  :wink:

I had a delivery of 24,500 ceramic caps that was a day late, yours was one of them!

More caps? Tell me more...

you marked all the values on the metal film resistors which was Great! Thanks!

you do have a pretty broad stock of caps, I am just being pedantic, us pedal builders need alot of strange values.

Can you get hold of rare Ic's, BBD's?

I will be sure to drop an email next time I stock up on parts and see if you can source some parts ;).
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

RSH Electronics

We can source quite a few of the more uncommon IC's, though finding small enough volumes is the difficulty.

Even some of the bog standard amp chips are getting hard to source like for instance the CA3080E. It's largely down to the new RoHS and WEEE directives for lead free production.

Manufacturers are simply not bothering to re-die and dumping their remaining stock to China for use in existing products, whilst European wholesalers are phasing out what they have left for fear of being stuck with a load of non-compliant stock they can't sell when the regulations come into force in 2006.

Keep an eye out for silly lead solder prices in the coming months as supliers try to clear it out before it's banned...