News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Korg X911

Started by jupiterboy, March 29, 2005, 04:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jupiterboy

I absolutely love the filter on this unit and finally found a place where I can buy the schematics to figure out if it is just an ms-20 filter. I bought the frostwave m-s 20 filter along time ago, and could not get anywhere near the x911 filter. I think the distortion circuit may have more to do with the filter than I think. Anyway, before I buy the schem does anyone have any info on the filter or the schematics??? Thanx jb

Vsat

Korg X911 is  similar to the (very weird) Korg Sigma keyboard synth internally... the Korg Sigma uses twelve (IIRC) of the shiny little black Korg-35 filter modules.... one per preset sound...same as what was used in the earlier (non-LM13600) version of the MS-20. The Korg-35 module contains 5 transistors and a few resistors, meant for hooking up to user-selected capacitors. Go to the sdiy list and ask about Korg-35 filter clones.
Cheers, Mike

Mark Hammer

Twas back in the day when I didn't really have electronic access to schems, but over 20 years ago, I modded a guy's X911 using the variable resonance mod that was published in POLYPHONY.  Sounded great and he loved it.  If I had a time machine, or if I had had the sense to take pictures back then when the lid was opened....but

Mike,
I checked the schem I/we have for the Sigma, but the only information re: the 35 filter is the pinout of what I assume was a little header to plug the module into.  Is the schem for the 35 module available anywhere that you know of, or is it similar to something else that is posted?

Aharon

Ahhh the memories,Steve's music store in Toronto,late 70s early 80s,$500 bucks and took it home,I thought I was something else.
Aharon
Aharon

analogguru

I have a copy of the service manual in front of me and - sorry - i cannot find even one of the mentioned "35"-modules in 12 pages...

If there is really interest in this VCF - and I trust Mark that it should sound good - I will (re-)draw the VCF-part in the next couple of days...

Anyway... the complete secrets of the 35-module you can find here:

http://www.aleph.co.jp/~takeda/radio/MS20clone2E.html

analogguru