First Attempt....poor results.

Started by ElectricCherry, March 29, 2005, 10:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricCherry

Well, just as I had figured. First attempt and I failed miserably. I tried to pull off the "Muffer" but something just went wrong and now I believe that there is just no turning back. All this thing did was howl as though it was poorly grounded and that's about it. I'm not asking for help, because I know that the first try usually sucks the hardest. I DO however have a few questions! I bought some Transistors from Radio Shack, because other than my box of old odds and ends there is NO where to buy this stuff. I can't even find Ferric Chloride. I'm going to attempt to build the "Muffmaster" tomorrow and I'll go MUCH slower and much more carefully. I also wont be making the same mistakes that I made this time. The first go around is REALLY a learning experience!
If it has strings, I can distort it!

scottosan

Quote from: ElectricCherryWell, just as I had figured. First attempt and I failed miserably. I tried to pull off the "Muffer" but something just went wrong and now I believe that there is just no turning back. All this thing did was howl as though it was poorly grounded and that's about it. I'm not asking for help, because I know that the first try usually sucks the hardest. I DO however have a few questions! I bought some Transistors from Radio Shack, because other than my box of old odds and ends there is NO where to buy this stuff. I can't even find Ferric Chloride. I'm going to attempt to build the "Muffmaster" tomorrow and I'll go MUCH slower and much more carefully. I also wont be making the same mistakes that I made this time. The first go around is REALLY a learning experience!
I think you shouldn't move on until you identify your problems.  If not, you will more than likely repeat them.

ryanscissorhands

I think I now know why breadboarding is so strongly encouraged here--easier to debug, and then you can test all of the components before soldering.

I suggest that to you, and to myself. Breadboard, then perf/PCB/whatever.

KORGULL

QuoteWell, just as I had figured. First attempt and I failed miserably.
You must always visualize yourself succeeding terrifically, Grasshopper.

Confucious say, "In the end, he who debugs circuit is far richer than the one who makes no mistake."

ryanscissorhands gives wise advice.

Dragonfly

Quote from: ElectricCherryWell, just as I had figured. First attempt and I failed miserably. I tried to pull off the "Muffer" but something just went wrong and now I believe that there is just no turning back. All this thing did was howl as though it was poorly grounded and that's about it. I'm not asking for help, because I know that the first try usually sucks the hardest. I DO however have a few questions! I bought some Transistors from Radio Shack, because other than my box of old odds and ends there is NO where to buy this stuff. I can't even find Ferric Chloride. I'm going to attempt to build the "Muffmaster" tomorrow and I'll go MUCH slower and much more carefully. I also wont be making the same mistakes that I made this time. The first go around is REALLY a learning experience!

if you should decide to try the "veroboard" route, go to the "layouts gallery" link on the top of the page, and enter the "dragonfly" vero layouts folder...i have a muffmaster layout thats pretty easy to follow....

however...i *do* agree that your time is better served by learning to "debug" your first circuit...you'll learn WAY more that way, even though it can be a bit frustrating at first...

check the "what to do when it doesnt work" thread at the top of this forum...

andy
dragonfly fx

lethargytartare

Read the "what to do when it doesn't work" post in this forum, and go through that checklist first -- it'll TOTALLY help alert you to more things to be cautious about when you start your second project.  And it may help you fix the muffler.

Also, your RS doesn't have ferric chloride??  Everyone around me has it in kits and in larger bottles.

Another thing to consider is getting some of the RS perfboard and using that to practice.  Try finding some VERY simple projects and build them on perf.  You can also try looking at vero layouts (and there are TONS), and build them on perf, using overlapping leads to connect the rows (just use every other row on perf so you have enough room to do your work -- using every row gets a bit tight).

And if you give up on that first project, PM me -- I'd be interested in trying to get it working (and would be happy to tell you what I find if I can fix it).

Cheers!

ltt

petemoore

:roll:  They couldn't understand stripes [or strips] that go all the way from one side of the board to the other, I had to visit the RS's to find out they don't have stripboard...least  around here.
 Vero Layouts make it look [and has to be ] easier. Perf is going to see less use here [at least by me].
 Things to do next time
 Check how many connections are made at each node [at least twice]
 If a part is 'oriented' or polarized, check data sheet / get it correct before installing
 Measure every resistor with DMM just prior to installing it.
 use sockets for the transistors, re-doing pinouts or finding/replacing a dead one is much easier this way, it may also aid in debugging, and you don't need to use heat sinks.
 470 is 470 ohms...I used to put 470k's there.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jrc4558

QuoteConfucious say, "In the end, he who debugs circuit is far richer than the one who makes no mistake."

bow to the almighty Electron, blessed be His name in tubes, solid state and digital technologies!

Ge_Whiz

"He who has never made a mistake, has never made anything."

Let us help you debug it!

robbiemcm

QuoteConfucious say, "In the end, he who debugs circuit is far richer than the one who makes no mistake."

Aha... then I'm worthless. Mine didn't work straight off and still doesn't!

jmusser

One thing thatwill make you pull you hair out, is the word "like". Radio Shack sells packages of transistors that are "like" 2N3906s or whatever. You can come across transistors out of the bunch, that aren't close enough in gain to work right, and also some with a totally different pin outs. I believe a 2N3906 package, has 2N289As in it, and the pin outs on it are different from a true 3906. I'm just using this for an example. It's bit me before. I have the samr problem where I live too. Like I tell everyone else, get yourself a clean schematic and a highlighter, and go back through your circuit. Be sure you have your bypass switch and jacks wired correctly too, because a lot of times, those are not included on the drawing. General Guitar Gadgets site has that wiring, so you can keep it straight. Get this one fixed first before you move on.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

lethargytartare

Radio Shack...I noticed the same thing -- bought a pack of 1N419s and only later bothered to look at their markings to find they were al 1N4148s...I use them interchangeably now, but I found it a bit aggravating...kinda like all the 7UP commercials on now where the the theme is "same thing, right?"...

petemoore

RS 15 pks...looked like a good deal on 15 Q's...[advice, keep rejects in the box they came from]...which in my case would be all of them...they're really not worth the trouble for me to want to try to re-read the markings. The best place for these transistors would have been in a droor at RS.
 Lately though I judge a 'good deal', first, by whether it's made it INTO a pedal that I actually USE...
 BTW, I havea pile of these transistors [also none like these are in working circuits] anybody wants can have...I don't know exactly what the deal is with them, but they're 'illegible' [pinout, etc. must be found in other ways that reading off the Q], and have failed to be put into service over the long haul...[junk].
 Probaly I din't research it enough, Good Q's are cheep...maybe someday I go through, and sort that part of the mess out...but I doubt it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Paul Marossy

QuoteI think you shouldn't move on until you identify your problems. If not, you will more than likely repeat them.

I agree. My first project (Black Cat OD-1 clone) worked great on the first try, but I also spent a good deal of time planning, checking and double checking my work before I ever fired it up. I did make a mistake or two wiring the power jack and footswitch, but I have never repeated those mistakes once I identified them!