News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

AD533

Started by dr, March 29, 2005, 11:16:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr

.....I have an opportunity to purchase some AD533's....the question is, are these fairly simple to buy anywhere? His price of $90 each seems a bit much!....I looked on Smallbear site, there were none even mentioned; I wanted to try and build a combination ring mod/octave thing and I only wanted to buy one; he's wanting to sell them in pairs....(he's got ten-and ninety bucks a pop!!)....are there any other pedals I could build with that same chip to warrant buying them both?.......dr

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

DiyFreaque

Gracious!  I'm fairly sure you can use the AD633 in place of the 533 (can someone confirm this?).  I've used the 633 on my synth ring modulator - dead nuts easy to use - pretty sure the circuit I used originally was for the AD533.  Sounds great, BTW.

Still a bit pricey (what AD isn't?).  But you can get the AD633 at Futurlec in singles for $6.90.  It's available elsewhere for prices rangely slightly to quite a bit higher (Digikey, Alled).

http://www.futurlec.com/ICAnalogDevices.shtml

A little searching might find one cheaper (maybe).

Cheers,
Scott

DiyFreaque

QuoteTry the AD633 instead

Confirmed before I even hit 'submit'  :D

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Note the AD533 (obsolete and pretty well unobtaniable) is NOT a direct replacement for the AD633 (current production). For one thing, they have 14 and 8 pins respectively :wink:
The AD633 data sheet has all you need for a basic ring modulator, all I can add is, make the power suppl rails as high as convenient, and the input signals as high as you can, to get the best signal to noise ratio. (It makes some difference, for feedthrough, whether the carrier is on the X or Y input, I can't remember which is best).
Oh, if you carrre about feedthrough, I'd regulate the rails too!

If you want a CHEAP one-chip multiplier, it can be done with a 3080 (and some inconvenience) but, now the 3080 is going, maybe use the Lm1377/NE5517 (ther eis a multiplier circuit in the darta sheets). Hell, sine the LM13700 is a dual, that makes it a 1/2 chip multiplier!! :D

DiyFreaque

Yipes!  It would be a bit hard making those 8 pins fit into 14 pads.  Guess I've never seen a 533 or a datasheet for one in the wild.  

The design I used came from a Romeo Fahl schematic that had a reference to it being a replacement for the 533 design.  That design, in turn, I think came more or less directly from the 633 datasheet.

Thanks for that!
Scott