Anyone using R.G.'s Modular FX buss system ?

Started by Karmasound, March 30, 2005, 12:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karmasound

The modular Fx buss system?

I found this the other day. I had been thinking of a way to do something like that but my idea was to clumsey. I really like this.

Anyone using it?  Anyone made any new modular units besides the one in the article?

I had thought about setting up a little "station" the would have a rotary for switchin like input caps easily with common values. And 2 rotary's with different diode configs. One rotary would go one way and the other one the other way. Then I could have different amount of diodes and types on each position, for different clipping configs.

Gilles C

I did experiment with this for a while.

I don't know why I stopped because I always liked that kind of design.

I had a test box that had standard pots and input/output jacks. I was only changing the pcb to test a new circuit.

Very convenient.

R.G.

I was always a little perplexed at why more people didn't seem interested in that. It was designed as a FX experimenter's heaven.  

The next step up in understanding from getting all the parts in place and soldered well is to learn to modularize circuits in your mind. The idea that a whole effect is composed of little sections of circuit that you can string together like alphabet blocks is pretty powerful. It's really the next step up into design from building and tinkering.

Being able to stick a buffer in series with a gain stage, a clipper, a filter, then a phase stage on a physical board leads pretty quickly into doing those things in your head, and then deciding that what you really need is a modulator stage. When you get to there, you're into really designing things, not worrying about where to get a 2XZ54K transistor and a bag of resistors.

On another level, it's really the same thing that we do with pedalboards, sticking a MekkanoMaster in front of a Belchfire pedal, and following with a Smoothy Deluxe.

Anyway, it perplexed me.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Phorhas

I strated to set up a buss mother board about two years ago, but for some reason, I just keep doing it the hard (and time consuming) way, and build each block from scratch on the bredboard... though I always design (on paper) in blocks :)

Anyways, thanks for inspiring, R.G.
Electron Pusher

Karmasound

I've decided to take a week off to study up on some concepts and some basic.

At the same time i'm making a parts order and getting my work area cleaned up.

I'm going to build the FX bus and a nice prototype station.

I've got some clones and some projects i'm going to do and finish up my pedalboard. Then after that i'm going to spend alot of time on design and experimentation.

Any other things to aid in design or some advice is gladly welcome.

WGTP

Modular has less Mojo.  :twisted:

Great idea though.    8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames