What's the big difference between TL071 and TL072?

Started by ESPguitar, March 31, 2005, 11:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESPguitar

And how can i "choose" the right OP amp?

Thanks,

RB

Peter Snowberg

Single vs. Double. :D

Type the part number into google along with the word datasheet for more.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

ESPguitar

Hmm.. That's the only difference.. Thanks..

What about the different OP amps then?? How can i "choose" right?

RB

Nasse

The first question: This is so easy that I can give the answer

TLO71 is single opamp and TLO72 is dual (two opamps in single case)

both have 8 legs
  • SUPPORTER

David

Quote from: ESPguitarHmm.. That's the only difference.. Thanks..

What about the different OP amps then?? How can i "choose" right?

RB

For a dual op-amp, you can't go wrong if you choose the TL072, NE5532 or OPA2134.  For a single op-amp, the TL071 is generally considered a good choice.

R.G.

QuoteWhat about the different OP amps then?? How can i "choose" right?
1) figure out what "right" is and express it in something that is measureable; for instance - large signal frequency response, slew rate, input offset, output offset, things like that
2) Read either datasheets or guides to selecting opamps which tell you which things to look for in datasheets.
3) make your best guess.

Another approach is to have people tell you that they like the Belchfire Maxximo opamps because they make the sound chewy.

Sorry. I couldn't help it.

To do your own selection, you have to know what datasheet parameters matter and then select. The learning is not a trivial task, unless you already have a good base of electronics learning to build on to have those parameters make sense.

A much faster way is to have people tell you their favorite ones and just accept their judgement. Relatively proven opamps are the TL072, JRC4558, JRC4560, NE5532, OP-275, the LM833; there are many others. But until you know what you're looking for, it's very hard to find it.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

ESPguitar

Quote from: R.G.
QuoteWhat about the different OP amps then?? How can i "choose" right?
1) figure out what "right" is and express it in something that is measureable; for instance - large signal frequency response, slew rate, input offset, output offset, things like that
2) Read either datasheets or guides to selecting opamps which tell you which things to look for in datasheets.
3) make your best guess.

Another approach is to have people tell you that they like the Belchfire Maxximo opamps because they make the sound chewy.

Sorry. I couldn't help it.

To do your own selection, you have to know what datasheet parameters matter and then select. The learning is not a trivial task, unless you already have a good base of electronics learning to build on to have those parameters make sense.

A much faster way is to have people tell you their favorite ones and just accept their judgement. Relatively proven opamps are the TL072, JRC4558, JRC4560, NE5532, OP-275, the LM833; there are many others. But until you know what you're looking for, it's very hard to find it.

Thanks RG..

My best solution then is to make a cicuit, buy a lot of different OP amps and test them in the same circuit..

I guess that's a way to learn a little about each of them:)

RB