INTRODUCING.....THE FIRECRACKER OVERDRIVE !!!!

Started by Dragonfly, March 30, 2005, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

This is a GREAT sounding overdrive pedal I designed, which will go from a very light (almost clean) overdrive to a "cranked plexi Marshall" type gain !  Its an easy build, has a low part count, and REALLY sounds great !
It makes you "automatically" start playing AC/DC songs :D

anyway, i posted a vero layout for it in the "Schematics and Layouts" forum, as well as in the "Dragonfly" folder in the layout gallery....

i have a schematic available for those who aren't "vero oriented", but i wont be posting it...just pm me and i'll be happy to pm a copy of it back to you....

enjoy !

Andy
Dragonfly FX

j0shua

Hey DragonFly really cool work .... im going to build this weekend :D

nice job dude....

Btw did you check and test the LM386 Fuzz ?

R.G.

Quotei have a schematic available for those who aren't "vero oriented", but i wont be posting it
You do realize that a vero layout is so much like a schematic that it's almost sophistry to call them different things, right?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Dragonfly

Quote from: R.G.
Quotei have a schematic available for those who aren't "vero oriented", but i wont be posting it
You do realize that a vero layout is so much like a schematic that it's almost sophistry to call them different things, right?

yes...but i also realize that, while i'm sharing info with the people here, i'd also like the "thieves" to at least have to "work a bit" to get the schemo  :D

andy

j0shua

MartyMart

I did a "test" build for Andy on this one, it sounds fantastic, both as a clean booster and an overdrive, very bright "plexi" sounding tone.
Nice one Andy ! and nice use of a mosfet in an LPB-1 type circuit !
:D

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

hilbi

looks nice  8)

any sound samples available?
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

Dragonfly

Quote from: j0shuaDRAGON DID YOU TEST THE LM386 FUZZ ?

havent had a chance yet...its on the short list though :)

andy

Dragonfly

Quote from: MartyMartI did a "test" build for Andy on this one, it sounds fantastic, both as a clean booster and an overdrive, very bright "plexi" sounding tone.
Nice one Andy ! and nice use of a mosfet in an LPB-1 type circuit !
:D

Marty. 8)

BTW....THANK YOU VERY MUCH MARTY  !!!!

Marty was kind enough to test the layout, try out some ideas i had on it, and add an idea or two of his own !!!!

So a big "shout out" to you !

andy

Dragonfly

Quote from: hilbilooks nice  8)

any sound samples available?

not yet, unfortunately....  :(

andy

Dragonfly

well...since Dirk_Hendrick (jerkoff) decided to not respect my request to keep the schematic from being posted publicly, you all can feel free to get the schemo from the layouts forum...he obviously ( trying to prove a point that i was already aware of) took it on himself to be the "first asshole".

all i simply wanted was ...
a) either people take the time to figure out the schemo for themselves from the vero
    or....
b) pm me and ask for one, which i have gladly distributed

he decided to "show how fricken' smart" he was and post his schemo for everyone....

so...if you want the schemo, go there....use  his ....

you want the vero layout....pm and ask me....

or...alternately, you can ask Dirk_Hendrick to waste his time and effort
and draw up a vero layout for you

andy

Dirk_Hendrik

Yes,
I'm a frikkin' smart jerkoff and my sole intention is to make people annoyed.  :roll:
Please read my response in the schem's section.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

David

Mr. Moderator:

I request that this thread be locked to retain its educational value and eliminate its "flammability".

Dirk_Hendrik

I'm going to make a few points. If you disagree that's more than fine. It might help to wait a few minutes to type a response to get rid of emotions. That's what I did when reading some foul language.

- I don't see a request not to post the schem. It is not posted for the sugested reason of theft. I have no intention of "stealing" this circuit and frankly I wonder if this should be your first concern.
- As written above, posting a vero is practically the same as the schematic. You may be angry at me and that's more than fine with me. At the other hand you knew this was going to happen eventually. The only difference is that now you have someone specific to be angry at. Wat would you have done an the case that the source of the schematic was not clear?
- You want people to think before requesting the schematic. Think about what exactly? I looked at the vero, made a schematic. Wether posting this or not, I would have made that schematic anyway since I can't judge a circuit from a vero but can from a schematic.  

- And last but not least a more "board wide" consideration. As far as I have always known discussion boards are to have an open share knowledge and ideas. About every of the 4 or 5 boards I frequently visit works on this principle.... except for this one where some people are constantly ot the edge of their chair to see that their creations are not (possibly) abused. If you don't want your findings to be known I keep wondering why they're posted in the first place?

That's my 2 cents. Like em or not but DO try to think from this perspective as well instead of beiing angry straight away because your insinuated request was not fully accepted. It is stil a discussion board so people have different opinions.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

David

Quote from: Dirk_HendrikThank you David. It is in no way my intention to start a fire.

However, I'm going to make a few points. If you disagree that's more than fine. It might help to wait a few minutes to type a response to get rid of emotions. That's what I did when reading some foul language.

- I don't see a request not to post the schem. It is not posted for the sugested reason of theft. I have no intention of "stealing" this circuit and frankly I wonder if this should be your first concern.
- As written above, posting a vero is practically the same as the schematic. You may be angry at me and that's more than fine with me. At the other hand you knew this was going to happen eventually. The only difference is that now you have someone specific to be angry at. Wat would you have done an the case that the source of the schematic was not clear?
- You want people to think before requesting the schematic. Think about what exactly? I looked at the vero, made a schematic. Wether posting this or not, I would have made that schematic anyway since I can't judge a circuit from a vero but can from a schematic.  

- And last but not least a more "board wide" consideration. As far as I have always known discussion boards are to have an open share knowledge and ideas. About every of the 4 or 5 boards I frequently visit works on this principle.... except for this one where some people are constantly ot the edge of their chair to see that their creations are not (possibly) abused. If you don't want your findings to be known I keep wondering why they're posted in the first place?

That's my 2 cents. Like em or not but DO try to think from this perspective as well instead of beiing angry straight away because your insinuated request was not fully accepted. It is stil a discussion board so people have different opinions.

WHOA!

The Firecracker is not my circuit.  I made no requests regarding the schematic.  I've noticed the temperature of the postings rising -- especially yours.  Now, what I have requested is that this thread be locked to keep the useful material and to minimize the negative postings before something gets said that someone (or a whole forum) regret.  That request is valid, it stands, and I'll make it again.

Dirk_Hendrik

Slip of the fingers in my way of answering. I did not want to suggest that it was yours. I'll edit. The "thank you" was referring to the other tread which I had open at the same time in which I appreciated your answer because it was clearly thought over instead of written based on angry emotions. My apologies for an ill made suggestion.

As said though, I don't want to start a fire. At the other hand I don't see why a topic should get locked because it can become flammable.

j0shua

Guys please calm down .......

The respect of other Rights is the peace!

we are a family and we need to respect sometimes.........

lethargytartare

Ok, so last night I saw this and figured I should crank it out...either that or I had to do laundry...guess which won :-)  And I had the parts lying around, so let's rock.  

So like my last one, I did the vero-on-perf.  I wasn't very neat with this build, but it still was error-free.  But I had to make a few substitutions, and they affected my opinion of the final circuit, so I have a few questions I'd like some feedback on.

First off, here's the component side (note the blue and two yellow wires in the middle go to the "trim" pot):

Full size here

And here's the solder side:

Full size here

As I said, not my neatest work, but it's good to go.  I had one resistor in the wrong place, and taking components out with this method is a PITA!  But we got there...so anyway, the substitutions:

Last cap -- I don't know the number on the schem/layout since everything got taken down, but it was the 220pF cap; I only had a 270pF.
D2 and D3 -- I used diodes that I'm pretty sure are 1N34As, but not absolutely sure.  They look right and came from another distortion pedal that I gutted long ago.
Gain -- 5K instead of 2K
Trim -- 25K normal pot instead of 20K trimmer

So that's it.  The trim dials in easily enough, and the sound is decent, but I wasn't entirely happy with it and suspect my substitutions are to blame.  The most noticeable issue I have is volume -- maxed out I get barely any boost over the clean signal.  Would that be because I have too big (270pF in stead of 220pF) of an output cap (that is what that last cap is, right?).  The other thing I suppose I should try is popping in two newer diodes.  Aren't 1N34As supposed to have more gain than others that could be used?  And how would you compare the impact of using LEDs (and does it matter what size LED you use?  never tried that but have some small ones I'll never use for anything else).

So, I passed on putting up sound clips because I didn't think they would showcase this circuit in its best light (due to my substitutions above).  But once I get closer to spec on it, I'll whip up some clips.

Total build time (this is getting boring, isn't it :-D ) about 2:30 -- started around midnight, tested around 2, pissed my wife off by bumbling into bed around 3.  

Nice work DF!!

ltt

Dragonfly

Quote from: DavidMr. Moderator:

I request that this thread be locked to retain its educational value and eliminate its "flammability".

yes...please.

thank you,
 andy

Dragonfly

Quote from: lethargytartareOk, so last night I saw this and figured I should crank it out...either that or I had to do laundry...guess which won :-)  And I had the parts lying around, so let's rock.  

So like my last one, I did the vero-on-perf.  I wasn't very neat with this build, but it still was error-free.  But I had to make a few substitutions, and they affected my opinion of the final circuit, so I have a few questions I'd like some feedback on.

As I said, not my neatest work, but it's good to go.  I had one resistor in the wrong place, and taking components out with this method is a PITA!  But we got there...so anyway, the substitutions:

Last cap -- I don't know the number on the schem/layout since everything got taken down, but it was the 220pF cap; I only had a 270pF.
D2 and D3 -- I used diodes that I'm pretty sure are 1N34As, but not absolutely sure.  They look right and came from another distortion pedal that I gutted long ago.
Gain -- 5K instead of 2K
Trim -- 25K normal pot instead of 20K trimmer

So that's it.  The trim dials in easily enough, and the sound is decent, but I wasn't entirely happy with it and suspect my substitutions are to blame.  The most noticeable issue I have is volume -- maxed out I get barely any boost over the clean signal.  Would that be because I have too big (270pF in stead of 220pF) of an output cap (that is what that last cap is, right?).  The other thing I suppose I should try is popping in two newer diodes.  Aren't 1N34As supposed to have more gain than others that could be used?  And how would you compare the impact of using LEDs (and does it matter what size LED you use?  never tried that but have some small ones I'll never use for anything else).

So, I passed on putting up sound clips because I didn't think they would showcase this circuit in its best light (due to my substitutions above).  But once I get closer to spec on it, I'll whip up some clips.

Total build time (this is getting boring, isn't it :-D ) about 2:30 -- started around midnight, tested around 2, pissed my wife off by bumbling into bed around 3.  

Nice work DF!!

ltt

im guessing something else is to blame for the low volume...it should be "pummeling" you :)

in fact, when MartyMart built the test unit, he substituted a 50K pot instead of the 100K because it was "too" loud.....

check your drain voltage carefully...

we'll get it figured out :)

andy