INTRODUCING.....THE FIRECRACKER OVERDRIVE !!!!

Started by Dragonfly, March 30, 2005, 09:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gringo

Edit: :oops: finally got it :oops: Nevermind.

Just saw this thread, and i don't seem to find neither the vero layout nor the schem :(

Anyone could point me to it/mail it?

Thanks! :)
Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

wampcat1

Quote from: Dragonfly
Quote from: hilbilooks nice  8)

any sound samples available?

not yet, unfortunately....  :(

andy

Hey Andy -- I'll be coming into GC this weekend -- if you want me to make some clips for you, I'd be glad to..

Thanks,
Brian
(indyguitarist.com guy)

mojotron

Quote from: lethargytartareOk, so last night I saw this and figured ...
D2 and D3 -- I used diodes that I'm pretty sure are 1N34As, but not absolutely sure. ... And how would you compare the impact of using LEDs (and does it matter what size LED you use?

My guess is that the 1n34a diodes are shunting too much of the signal, not allowing enough to be passed to the output... I would find some other diodes to either sub in or use with the 1n34a diodes you have.. LEDs would be the other end of the spectrum - probably shunting too little.... but it is something you have to try and see if you like it.... I would try to get the diodes that Dragonfly put in his... and see how they work..

Quote from: lethargytartare...  pissed my wife off by bumbling into bed around 3.  

ohhh.... I've been there and done that...

Dragonfly

Quote from: mojotron

My guess is that the 1n34a diodes are shunting too much of the signal, not allowing enough to be passed to the output...

its possible, but i doubt it...this thing is so bloody LOUD its ridiculous...germs shouldnt affect it nearly that much....my guess is that something else is amiss....

andy

dosmun

I built it tonight and GE diodes do knock the volume down a bit.  Probably close to unity with the volume maxed.  I think I almost like it best with no diodes.

Dragonfly

Quote from: dosmunI built it tonight and GE diodes do knock the volume down a bit.  Probably close to unity with the volume maxed.  I think I almost like it best with no diodes.

really...thats a ton of drop....i didnt try the ge's with it though....

i like the 1n4001's quite a bit, and i think i'll do a 1n4001/led combo one....

hmmm,
 andy

dosmun

I was testing at a pretty low volume and it is hard to tell at a low level, plus I wasn't paying that close of attention to how much the volume dropped more to the tones.  But I do remember cranking the volume up when using the GE's.  I will have to check again and see if the difference was that drastic.

j0shua

hmmmm Why don't try Led DIodes 3mm ( blue ) .... hmmmm i like to try whit NTE459 N-Channel Silicon JFET Transistor AF amplifier/Chopper/Switch
hmmmm the
the same i use in my phantim drive

bwanasonic

all i simply wanted was ...
a) either people take the time to figure out the schemo for themselves from the vero

At the risk of shit-stirring I wanted to make the point that I feel it's much more useful that people learn to make their own layouts from a schematic than to be able deduce a schematic from a vero layout. People who design circuits don't speak in *vero*, they speak in *schematic*. Reverse engineering a layout is a skill much more useful to someone interested in cloning rather than designing. Ever wonder why you don't see any layouts at Tim Escobedo's site? I still don't think it's cool anyone else posted your schematic.  

Kerry M

lethargytartare

Yeah, something must be wrong.  Here are my voltages:

D  .2
G   0
S   0

that can't be good...would I get any output if I damaged the tranny when soldering it?

Dragonfly

Quote from: bwanasonic
all i simply wanted was ...
a) either people take the time to figure out the schemo for themselves from the vero

At the risk of shit-stirring I wanted to make the point that I feel it's much more useful that people learn to make their own layouts from a schematic than to be able deduce a schematic from a vero layout. People who design circuits don't speak in *vero*, they speak in *schematic*.

Kerry M

ah...but *one* helps you understand the other....if you can figure out how the vero and schematic relate to one another (in either direction) , it can help you learn to translate your other schematics into vero, perf, and pcb layouts.

andy

Dragonfly

Quote from: lethargytartareYeah, something must be wrong.  Here are my voltages:

D  .2
G   0
S   0

that can't be good...would I get any output if I damaged the tranny when soldering it?

those readings are way off...you should be setting it at 4.5v at the drain....check to make sure that youre getting proper voltages at the trim pot, and that the trim pot is indeed working properly.

mosfets are very sensitive to static ....they can also be heat damaged....you might want to remove it and replace it with a socket, so you can easily pop in another without fear of damaging it.....

andy

Adam Shame

I threw this together last night with a few changes.  I used a "ghetto-board" design on perf (looks really awful).  I used a 5k pot for the gain, a 470 pf for the cap with the diodes, and used a small red and orange (amber maybe??) leds for the diodes.  I put it together rather quickly (as quick as I could be with a 3 year old and a 3 month old around).

I  played it with my Gibson Hawk (sort of a hybrid of a tele and a Les Paul JR) with a Duncan JB in the bridge.  I first played it through my Alamo challenger (with 10 inch speaker) and it was pretty good, but way too freakin loud.  I couldn't turn it past 2 without my son yelling TOO LOUD DADDY and covering his ears and crying.  With the neck pickup (stock, I forgot what it was), it is kinda muddy.  Much better with the bridge pickup.

Then I played it though my Silvertone 1392 (12 inch speaker).  All I have to say is WOW.  Tone heaven right there with the bridge.   It made the challenger sound like a steaming pile of feces.  This pedal needs a slightly dirty amp to really make it shine.  It is still way too freakin loud (not that is a bad thing), and I might try a lower value volume pot.  If I still played guitar in a band (I switched over to bass now), I would try to use this live because it sounds soo damn good.  I wish I had a way to record it, beause I am really impressed.  The guitar player in my band is coming over tomorrow with his new Les Paul w/P90s and I can't wait to see how that sounds.

Kudos to Dragonfly for this design.  To complete the ghetto-fabulous build, I have an old cable TV filter I am gonna cannabalize for the enclosure.  It is gonna look like swiss cheese, but this thing is going to be a permanent fixture on my pedalboard.

Adam
Q: What do you get when you cross an owl with a bungee cord?

A: My Ass

Dragonfly

Quote from: Adam ShameI threw this together last night with a few changes.  I used a "ghetto-board" design on perf (looks really awful).  I used a 5k pot for the gain, a 470 pf for the cap with the diodes, and used a small red and orange (amber maybe??) leds for the diodes.  I put it together rather quickly (as quick as I could be with a 3 year old and a 3 month old around).

I  played it with my Gibson Hawk (sort of a hybrid of a tele and a Les Paul JR) with a Duncan JB in the bridge.  I first played it through my Alamo challenger (with 10 inch speaker) and it was pretty good, but way too freakin loud.  I couldn't turn it past 2 without my son yelling TOO LOUD DADDY and covering his ears and crying.  With the neck pickup (stock, I forgot what it was), it is kinda muddy.  Much better with the bridge pickup.

Then I played it though my Silvertone 1392 (12 inch speaker).  All I have to say is WOW.  Tone heaven right there with the bridge.   It made the challenger sound like a steaming pile of feces.  This pedal needs a slightly dirty amp to really make it shine.  It is still way too freakin loud (not that is a bad thing), and I might try a lower value volume pot.  If I still played guitar in a band (I switched over to bass now), I would try to use this live because it sounds soo damn good.  I wish I had a way to record it, beause I am really impressed.  The guitar player in my band is coming over tomorrow with his new Les Paul w/P90s and I can't wait to see how that sounds.

Kudos to Dragonfly for this design.  To complete the ghetto-fabulous build, I have an old cable TV filter I am gonna cannabalize for the enclosure.  It is gonna look like swiss cheese, but this thing is going to be a permanent fixture on my pedalboard.

Adam

MartyMart ended up using a 50k volume pot...and depending on the clipping diodes/led's you choose,  you might even be able to get away with a 10k !

glad to hear you like it !  :D

post some pics of the TV filter enclosure if you get a chance....inquiring minds want to know !  

andy