Any DIY'ers in Austin, TX?

Started by triskadecaepyon, March 30, 2005, 11:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian wenz

Hello Hello--
      HHAAAAAHHHH!!!!!   I love it!  
We can charge everybody a $50 submission fee just to let them send a pedal to us for consideration in the "Big Shootout" .
Brian.

mojotron

Quote from: triskadecaepyon
Quote from: guitarhacknoiseANNOUNCING THE FIRST ANNUAL AUSTIN STOMP-A-THON.
it'll be bigger than "Spam-o rama" and sxsw combined.
we can even conduct business like the sxsw honchos...........
every year we'll raise the "application" and the wristband fee,  and then post ads asking for VOLUNTEERS to do all the dirty work, I love it!
who's in?
oh crap, I almost forgot that as organizers of this annual event we probably need to own a hipster weekly rag, you know, so that we can generate (for free) all the publicity we need to make this a huge, overly celebrated, undertaking.
-matthias

RANT-N-ROLL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You do get the wierdest ideas.

http://www.keepaustinweird.com/
8)

triskadecaepyon

thanks guys.... Well a meeting wouldn't be too bad.  This is plain overboard :)

Hal

I get so jelous whenever people talk about local electronic stores, especially cool ones with Ge transitors.  Around me...I have radio shack.  I live not too far from manhatten, the everything capital of the world, and as far as I know there isn't even a cool electrincs/surplus store there...

brian wenz

Hello Hello Hal--
       Actually, you're much closer to a cool supply outlet....Smallbear!
There really isn't much around here that's worth talking about....every now-and-then some repair place might get a few trannys in.
brian.

guitarhacknoise

Tinkertronics on airport (original location, not bantam)
walked in there at the begining of this quest,
walked out with some knowledge,
a handful of 2n404a's (only half were leaky!)
a handful of 1n34a's,
And only $5.00 poorer!
oh yeah...........and a SMILE!
been back a bunch but hav'nt seen the old man in a long time..................
I hope he's still ........................working?
otherwise, as far as "can't wait for items", I stick to fry's and "the shat" , sometimes bantam (lame $25.00 minimum) .
Small Bear is still the best, I like tacking on some "soda" money to maybe help subsidize a much needed break.

where are your favorite shops?

-matthias
ooooo! and a cool new shop way south of town, Mr. Resistor. Thanks!

where's danny g?
"It'll never work."

triskadecaepyon

I really need to explore austin more.  I don't seem to see all the nice specialty shops around here!

Cliff Schecht

Aww forget about Tinkertronics, I always hit up Howard Electronics for the parts I need. I got about 100 1N34A's with about $150 dollars worth of parts for about $30 dollars. I just finished my Ts-808 and built my Big Muff Pi, along with many other effects. This is becoming an addiction.

Big Muff Pi
Big Muff Pi again

Edit: That was my second effect, my first one (well 2) being an Orange Squeezer, which is great compression with a touch of distortion IMHO.

guitarhacknoise

I've been over to MC Howard a couple of times, real nice guy, you can look in all the bins yourself if you want.  But I've never found what ever I was looking for at the time, ..........Also I'm not a big fan of the North Austin sprawl/Urban  design, kind of depressing. Just to clarify:
The Tinkertronics I speak of is NOT the tinkertronics that was/is housed at Bantam Elec. off of Burnet rd, but the ORIGINAL one at 1133 Airport blvd.
East Side.............Best represent!  bitches.............. :D
"It'll never work."

Cliff Schecht