Opinions on Hammond Eddystone boxes

Started by bassmeister, March 31, 2005, 05:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bassmeister

I've built some circuits, but I've only gone all the way (i.e. boxing) with one design. For that design I bought a cheaper variant of the Hammond 1590 series, called Hammond Eddystone. The measurments was almost the same as for a 1590DD. When it was delivered, it had chirps at some points at the bottom edges of the box (the lid was OK). Perhaps the price explains that (a lower quality series), but I was wondering if anyone has used this cheaper alternative and has the same experience? Most people in here seems to be using Hammond boxes (1590 series). They are a bit more expensive (a couple of $), but perhaps they use a higher quality aluminium and/or different/better casting technique for these boxes?

Any thougts?

stinkfoot

I've used the Eddystone boxes for lots of projects, and they definitely seem ok to me. Especially for the price - "real" 1590 boxes are much more expensive in these parts of the world...

The corners are more tightly radiused (not as rounded as the 1590 series), but other than that they are more or less similar in size. Usually, the box and lid edge will have a couple of rough spots - probably leftovers from the casting process - but other than that they are just fine.

Hej, förresten!  8)

/Andreas

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I always had the idea that the Eddystone was made in the UK (hence the "Eddystone Lighthouse" logo, whihc can't mean much outside UK).
I expect Hammond have taken them over (the way Dunlop collects tradenames from collapsed companies). Where they are made now I don't know, but you would think shipping costs would make it viable to make boxes locally. Especially since you can use low-grade recycled aluminium that wouldn't pass for architectural or automotive applications.

Here in Melbourne Australia there used to be a diecast box making busines called "The Transistor Box Company" what a cool name!!! Their boxes were "at least 60% aluminium" :shock:  :lol:

european bob

I'm a newbie at this and I've only built one pedal so far, a veroboard FuzzFace clone. I used an Eddystone box and it had a few rough edges round the lid join, but apart from that it's fine. I was going to paint the box but I quite like the colour, looks quite cool especially with a blue LED.

bwanasonic

I recently used a Hammond 1590N (equivalent to what smallbear sells as *Wild Mouse* size) and it was no prize. I had to make little cork washers to get the bottom plate to fit snug. I bought a bunch of other sizes at the same time, so let's hope those fit better. So I guess my answer would be, the Eddystone can't be much worse than the proper *Hammond* ones.

Kerry M

ESPguitar

I've used a lot of the eddystone boxes, i've also used the 1590 series..
The 1590 series is a better "finnsh/quality" but i absoluetly hate the damn rounded corners..
That's what i like with the eddystone series.. (not so rounded corners)

The eddystone enclosures costs about half the price of the 1590's in Norway..

RB

bassmeister

Quote from: stinkfootHej, förresten!

Tjena tjena! (which means "hi" in swedish)

I'm housing a Small Stone built from the tonepad layout in it. I'll post some pictures when it's done, hopefully next week.

phillip

I've used Hammond, Eddystone, and the Taiwanese copies.  The Hammonds and Eddystones were about the same quality...pretty darn good!  The Taiwanese boxes, on the other hand, had some problems...the quality of the aluminum doesn't seem to be as good, but they still worked fine.

I've been using the Hammond 1590B box like it's going out of style, and I haven't hand any problems with any of them, other than some small blemishes that you'd expect in a cast box.  I love the rounded corners on the Hammonds...it's just a more appealing shape for me ;)

Phillip

sir_modulus

I agree with Phillip, oh and Btw, Paul Perry is right here. Eddystone is owned by Hammond, and are just a selling branch in the U.K. They are *technically* supposed to be the same boxes. Here in Winnipeg, my local shop sells the hammonds cheapest, the taiwanese ones are more expensive...and the old eddystone ones (he sent em back) were through the roof. They are the branch of hammond that sells to the rest of the world, while hammond makes the OEM boxes for north america.

Hope that answers some questions, Cheers!

Nish