Names of effects

Started by robbiemcm, March 31, 2005, 05:48:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbiemcm

I was just wondering if there is a list of types of effects, and what they do somewhere? And if not, maybe we could make one? I think it would be useful, I've commonly wondered what some effects do or trying to find an effect that matches what I'm thinking of. Having it all in the same spot could be a good resource. Of course if there's one out there, someone could help me out by linking me to it :)

Thanks,
Robbie

ESPguitar

shure it would be!  :D

Let's wait for some other replies and see what they think about it..

PS. Cool idea..

RB

Zero the hero

inverseroom

Just click the GEO FAQ link at the top of this page!

robbiemcm

Thanks for that link, it was quite useful. I think it could still be cool to have a more diverse + larger one here. Maybe just explaining the sound, something less monkey orientated :P It was cool though.

Also.. I was wondering. Is there any sort of pedal that gives a pulse in volume, turning it up and down. Wait... no. There is a little monkey turning the volume up and down at a certain speed, it looks at the speed dial you set, and does it that fast. There's also another dial which he looks at, whcih determines how much he turns the volume up/down by. Now imagine this monkey is in a box, and the RSPCA doesn't know about it. And you feed him electron bananas. There a pedal out there like this?

R.G.

QuoteI was just wondering if there is a list of types of effects, and what they do somewhere?
First, try reading the GEO Guitar Effects FAQ. The first edition of this thing came out in ... umm.. 1993 as I remember. It contained the effects taxonomy that you're talking about. I don't know of any box that is not one of those or combinations of those effects.

The link is at at the top of every page of this forum. That's not an accident.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Andi

Quote from: robbiemcmAlso.. I was wondering. Is there any sort of pedal that gives a pulse in volume, turning it up and down. Wait... no. There is a little monkey turning the volume up and down at a certain speed, it looks at the speed dial you set, and does it that fast. There's also another dial which he looks at, whcih determines how much he turns the volume up/down by. Now imagine this monkey is in a box, and the RSPCA doesn't know about it. And you feed him electron bananas. There a pedal out there like this?

Tremolo! :)

Must remember to add that.

puretube

hi monkeyfx!!!  :D

welcome to the forum

(check out how to make your sig "clickable" for direct linking)

http://www.monkeyfx.com/

P.S.: haven`t done much H-C browsing lately, dot-dot-dot...
but always loved those explanations...

jmusser

One thing that I always wanted was a list of sound terms and their definitions. I have mine, and you may have yours, and they may mean totally different things. For example, I've heard of a Fuzz Face as being "Wooly". I have no idea what that means to that person. It would be great to have a term be defined with a particular song. Like "Joe Walsh plays this passage in the bridge of "Rocky Mountain Way", and that sound is "Wooly". It would be a huge undertaking, but it would sure help to get us all on the same page when describing effect tones.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

Andi

Quote from: puretubehi monkeyfx!!!  :D

welcome to the forum

(check out how to make your sig "clickable" for direct linking)

http://www.monkeyfx.com/

P.S.: haven`t done much H-C browsing lately, dot-dot-dot...
but always loved those explanations...

I got the impression that that sort of linkage was a bit frowned on here. :?

Anyways, it's www.monkeyfx.co.uk - some Aussie has registered the .com one and doesn't answer any emails. Squatter scum, at a guess.

puretube

everybody here would/will love your linking to this:
http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/fxguide.html
at least, I`m sure...  :wink:

8)

Pedal love

I love the monkey, he makes more sense than some of us. :wink:

Sonny ReVerb

Tonefrenzy has sound samples of many vintage and new effects. They're broken down by type. Check 'em out:

http://www.tonefrenzy.com/vintage_effects.html

Sonny