Vero vs. Etch

Started by Hairston, March 31, 2005, 10:53:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hairston

Just some random thoughts...

Ya know, I used to be a real hard core PNPB-etch guy because I'm a little anal about my work. Just recently I've been doing a lot of vero and point-to-point stuff and I'm finding it really rewarding.

Now when I think about firing up the steam iron and the etch tank, it doesn't have the same appeal. Small Bear's boards are just so outstanding when it comes to convenience and quality, I just can't can't see myself etching another "small-project" in the near future.

No need to feel compelled to respond to this post if you don't want to. Maybe it's just me.

- HB

j0shua

Hi

Well Veroboard build is more easy for some users, many of the ppl come here, are teens , so i think is dangerous in some cases to use ACID or other harmfull material .... of course is my opinion ......

i like to use etch , but veroboard is a exelent alternative and cheap price
 :wink:

Mark Hammer

Yeah, those SBE pad-per-hole boards ARE nice.  Built like a rock, and beautifully tinned.

As much as I like the "paint-by-number" ease that PCB's offer, and as much as I like the way they serve as memory prosthetic (Hmmm, did I make ALL the needed ground connections?), there are some of us who invariably end up wanting to add features to circuits, or different component values, or who only have big-ass 50v electrolytics of the needed values in the parts drawer, or who bought a bunch of chassis that cannot accommodate the posted layout, and need to use something a little more "freeform".  Thank goodness for veroboard, pad-per-hole, perfboard, and all the other one-off alternatives.  No shame in it whatsoever (although there may be some shame in having as many perfed projects in need of troubleshooting as I have!)

DiyFreaque

I find the process of building on vero/proto/perf board to be a an enjoyable experience, and Mark's right - if you want to mod or add to it, it's very easy to do.  Like my Dim C experience for example - at a late stage in the game, I realized I needed to change how the bypass pulse input was handled, and all I had to do was find some space on one of the boards to put my modification (two transistors and 5 resistors).  It didn't require any cutting of traces or kludging of parts to do it, and when it was done, it looked like it was supposed to be there all along....

Cheers,
Scott

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: DiyFreaquewhen it was done, it looked like it was supposed to be there all along....

Wow, I never had THAT happen :shock:  :wink:

Connoisseur of Distortion

i despise etching, but i enjoy drilling. i utterly loathe bending leads around, but i enjoy soldering them down.

haven't tried veroboard yet... maybe that's my goal in life?  :lol:

Hal

Quote from: j0shuaHi

Well Veroboard build is more easy for some users, many of the ppl come here, are teens , so i think is dangerous in some cases to use ACID or other harmfull material .... of course is my opinion ......

i like to use etch , but veroboard is a exelent alternative and cheap price
 :wink:

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:

don't be teen-ist.  I think teens tend to be more careful than adults.  Adults have "experiance" which causes carelessness.  My dad has much worse habits than I have, when it comes to safety (stuff like clamping when using a drill press, eye protection, fumes, etc.) and he has had a couple of bad accident and near misses.  I really don't have too many bad accidents, except the time my dad electrocuted me with 150v.  

"what would happen if..."
"NO!!!!"
as he connects the 30vac to the transformer that I'm holding the primaries of...

Sam

I'm starting to think the other way. Going from vero to maybe start etching - how difficult can it be? Is it such a PITA?

Back in school I did some etching with uv-light and really smelly tanks full of acid. The press'n'peel looks, in this perspective, like a piece of cake. Is it?

Oh, well. Maybe I'll just order som RTS PCBs from GGG...
"Where's the paper bag that holds the liquor?
Just in case I feel the need to puke." - Silver Jews

smashinator

Quote from: HalI really don't have too many bad accidents, except the time my dad electrocuted me with 150v.  

"what would happen if..."
"NO!!!!"
as he connects the 30vac to the transformer that I'm holding the primaries of...

I sincerely hope you gave him a good hard kick in the shins.  I mean, respect your elders and all, but sometimes you need to be the tool of karma.

I also hope you stopped letting him help you out with stuff.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

lethargytartare

Honestly, I only use vero layouts because they're what I can find (some of the coolest circuits are still only cropping up here in vero layouts).  For more involved boards, I just like the compactness and neatness of the etched board.  I've done a few projects from here on vero (well perf since Futurlec sent me someone else's order instead of my veroboard order :-(  ) and feel like they often (not always) end up with a lot of empty space.  Also I feel a well arranged etched board puts your leads all in a practical place, and with vero I tend to see them more scattered.

For me, I think vero is turning into my gateway drug into the world of breadboarding -- I use it for small projects that I just want to take a stab at...but since it'd probalby be just as easy to to a vero layout on breadboard, why use up the components and solder?

I do like how the work folks here are doing is making this hobby SO accessible to more and more novice people!

Cheers all!

ltt

Karmasound

I never really enjoyed vero :oops:

I bought a bunch from futurelec and I think I only used on piece.

I'll trade someone some parts for it 8)  :lol:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: lethargytartareI do like how the work folks here are doing is making this hobby SO accessible to more and more novice people!
Well said, Ltt!
There is no "one" way to do this stuff.. but vero definitely has its place!
(one of those places is on my bench).

bwanasonic

I have no interest in vero, but I also have no interest in etching ( and certainly not drilling!). I haven't even used pad-per-hole in a while. I breadboard, layout in ExpressPCB , and have them make the boards. I enjoy the crossword puzzle like aspect of doing PCB layouts. One of the strengths of the double-sided ExpressPCB boards is also a weakness if you like to design-on-the-fly; desoldering parts can be a real PITA.

Kerry M