EH echoflanger/polychorus/polyflanger DIY info

Started by nelson, March 31, 2005, 12:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nelson

For a long time now i have wanted to own one of these pedals, the sonic possibilities are endless. I have scoured the forums and google but it seems the DIY community has given up on this pedal.

I seen that at one point the people over at tonepad were thinking of doing it as a DIY project, I wonder why this never materialised? is it that hard? Are the schems available not accurate? What is the deal?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

triskadecaepyon

HAHAHAHAHHA.  Don't even try making a polychorus/echoflanger.  I opened mine up and was suprised at what I saw.  the polychorus has 4 MN3007's, a BUNCH of transistors (counted about 12), several JRC 4558's (wow!), and a double layered PCB; half of it is SMD stuff.  The Pots are WIERD values too.  Even if you tried to make it, it would be way too much to make one.  You are better off buying one.  I used to have a schem of it... it was in a small booklet form. Good luck trying to reverse engineer one.  A Small clone can be modified to sound what a polychorus does with a couple of mods.

nelson

I am sure it is not above the ability of some on this forum. I take it you dont still have the schem?

It is my "holy grail" of pedals.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

StephenGiles

Think of it like this - a fuzz box is easy to build, so it has as much circuitry as 20 easy fuzz boxes!!!!!!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

nelson

That is more my mentality!! GREAT attitude :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

Quote from: triskadecaepyonA Small clone can be modified to sound what a polychorus does with a couple of mods.

A polychorus can Do SO much more than a small clone, it has a slap back delay a strange filter matrix switch a flanger, SO much better than a small clone with a few mods.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

cd

Quote from: StephenGilesThink of it like this - a fuzz box is easy to build, so it has as much circuitry as 20 easy fuzz boxes!!!!!!!
Stephen

More like 100, and if 1 goes down, the whole thing won't work.  Is it the same as the re-issue Stereo Poly-Chorus?  Those things are barely $200 new.

triskadecaepyon

Quote from: nelson
Quote from: triskadecaepyonA Small clone can be modified to sound what a polychorus does with a couple of mods.

A polychorus can Do SO much more than a small clone, it has a slap back delay a strange filter matrix switch a flanger, SO much better than a small clone with a few mods.

Well that's correct.  What I meant was that the small clone's sound is pretty close to a polychorus, when used in the chorus function.  Of course I love the polychorus and would love the build, too.  The guy at EH told me the design for the polychorus was rougly 4 mirrored small clones put together; basically a 4 stage circuit, analog of course.  It took me quite some cash to attain that schem ( I think around 30 or so), and now I can't find it.  Someone go get one from EH or something...

DiyFreaque

So, is there a schematic available?

Cheers,
Scott

puretube

triskadecaepyon

Quote from: cd
Quote from: StephenGilesThink of it like this - a fuzz box is easy to build, so it has as much circuitry as 20 easy fuzz boxes!!!!!!!
Stephen

More like 100, and if 1 goes down, the whole thing won't work.  Is it the same as the re-issue Stereo Poly-Chorus?  Those things are barely $200 new.

Very similar.  I have an echoflange, polychorus, and stereo reissue.  Echo and original polychorus are exactly the same.  I guess they felt like changing the name.  And yes, I got my Schem from EH directly, but that was many, many years ago :)

nelson

The reissues, dont have the mojo quality that the original polychorus/echoflange has, They are nice pedals though, I just want to build an original in the future as a long term project. I know people have attempted perhaps more complex tasks, the original guitar synth for example. Ofcourse the polychorus would pose quite a challenge, and be well worth the effort. Has anyone attempted it? I know the original dlx elec mistress is available as a project on GGG, surely the polychorus must be somewhat similar.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

nelson

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X