Pretty Big Noob Ground Question!

Started by ElectricCherry, March 31, 2005, 10:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricCherry

Okay, I know that I could find this info out somewhere but I figured that a seasoned stopmbox vet might get it for me quicker!  Okay so I built a Muffer and it sounds great, except for 1 problem. The darn thing buzzes like there is a bad ground and when I touch the ground wire with my hand while holding my guitar the bad noise goes away and the effect comes TO LIFE!!! It gets 3x louder and all the crackle and buzz is gone! Any ideas? Sounds like I'm completing a circuit of somekind while holding my guitar. I had someone else hold the ground but it kept being crappy until I held it. Any feedback is great!
If it has strings, I can distort it!

niftydog

check for continuity from the muffers ground to your amps ground.  That is, make sure that the ground on the circuit board is connected to the ground (sleeve) connection of the guitar lead going to the amp. Also check it from your guitar to the muffer.

Additionally, if the muffer is in a metal box, make sure the box itself is grounded as well. Let us know how you go.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

ElectricCherry

I'll make sure that the wire is correctly touching the ground tab on the input jack. It totally makes sense now, I guess that I was just so worked up that that idea never popped into my head. Thanks! I'll fix it in the morning and let you know how it turned out. :P
If it has strings, I can distort it!