Repace / aternate a pot with fixed resistor ?

Started by sonic66, April 01, 2005, 06:51:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonic66

Hi, to swap in a fixed resistor for a pot ie for a set tone  or boost level - there still needs to be a tap to ground right? Where after / before resistor - noob
Any Feedback is Great Feedback

Peter Snowberg

It all depends on the circuit.

If the wiper of the pot is connected to either end of the element, or one end of the element is unconnected, then you can simply replace the pot with a single fixed resistor.

If the pot has all three terminals used, then you will need to use two resistors. In a circuit this is normally called a resistive divider. If you want to substitute resistors for a 100K pot turned to 50%, just use two 47K resistors in series with the junction connected to the wiper connection in place of the pot. Just find two values you can add to get the same overall pot resistance. You can also use ten, 10K resistors. Connect the wiper connection to the junction between the first and second resistors and it's the same as a 100K pot turned up to 10%. At the next resistor junction it will be like 20%, and so on.

What circuit are you wondering about?

Welcome to the forum. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

sonic66

the Aim is to use a dpdt switch connected to the main effect / bypass dpdt stomp switch so as to change the function of the stomp from fx / bypass to fx variable + fx fixed value. Wired it up with the second switch on the bottom pair of the dpdt with  a second input to the fx and a single from the fx out put ( true bypassed from the original variable output ).

All i got was max value of the fx varible range  - as it was just going straight through the resistor.
Thats ok  for max boost but i wanted to set a norm level and use the pot for the gain i wanted

The fx  pot  is a volume  / gain  pot on the output  with  lug 1 going to ground and lug 2 to fx output lug 3 fx

Thanks for your help Peter
Any Feedback is Great Feedback