Analog multi-fx and pedal board switching(digital?)

Started by Karmasound, April 01, 2005, 10:19:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karmasound

I was thinking instead of making each effect an stompbox, makin a large console that would house them all.

I've been reading a little about fx loops and switching and have read an article by R.G. (asmop).

I don't really think I would like to have any parameters controlled like gain ect. But I would like to employ multi-fx switching with loops.

I'm not even sure exactly what i'm talking about.

Maybe I could just setup a little patchbay on the consloe for inserts and routing and have some of those controlled by a stomper. Like turning on and off 2-5 fx at one time.

Even more convienent for preformance would be to have a little "arming" button that is independent of the true bypass switch and led.

This button could arm the effect and have a little led too. And watever is armed would get turned on by the master switch.

Take this a little further and say that you could set up the fx chain order by the way your arm them. Like pushing the button and having a "memory" remember the fx order.

For example little Johnny pushed in sequence

ts-9
delay
phaser
reverb

lets say this sequence was for a verse of the song he was preforming and all need to  turned on in that order simutaniously.

Now say the chorus called for a different set of fx'x (patch)

maybe have 2 patches available Green and Red

Green could be a verse patch Red could be a chorus patch

So just by arming the effect in order of the chain you want with green or red or even both then you could turn on multi fx with on stomp.

Ok  I need to clean up my room my head just exploded.

Maybe someon knows what I am trying to do better than I do.

Any advice or info or any reading material, or point me in a direction of things to study would be appreciated. :shock:  8)

R.G.

What you describe falls easily enough within the realm of ASMOP and "A Programmable Any-order Footswitch".

I chose to do both of those with presets instead of "load and execute". The problem is that there's enough going on while playing that preloading an "execute-next" program on stage might just be error prone.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Transmogrifox

Quote from: R.G....there's enough going on while playing that preloading an "execute-next" program on stage might just be error prone.

Error prone?  I tend to lump that into the category of "Artistic Accidents".

Let's people know you're still human. :wink:
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

R.G.

From my earlier performance days, I'm pretty well aware that whatever happens on stage was "intended for artistic effect", just like the scene in Spinal Tap where Derek Smalls finally escapes from his coccoon and then gets one arm caught in the closing coccoon. His raised fist salute was of course the only thing that made sense.

Of course, privately I always thought it was better if I got to choose what I'd do "artistically" myself, rather than letting the Deity of Performances choose how I'd be artistic. 8-)

It's that choice I was talking about. I would always vow to myself, while grinning through clenched teeth "... next time... next time... I'll fix this so I get what I wanted..." The audience of course thought that my playing was... um... as good as it ever was...

It's probably good that I never had a chance to do any big shows with stage setups and all the whizbangs that happen now. I can see myself accid-- er, artistically... setting off the flash pots or sweeping lasers on a ballad or, in preparation to do an ear-searing solo on a heavy metal number, leaping into the air and with single stomp changing my effects over to ... mellow acoustic bubblegum phaser...

Ah, yes... those were the days...
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Karmasound

yeah instant bridge

stop headbanging and get out the lighters then back to headbanging

"what an intense show, these guys rock"

R.G.

You might also look at the steel studs thing for a reasonably good "rack" for several pedals. See "Some thoughts on effects enclosures and rack mounting" at GEO, 10-1-03.

That lets you put a bunch of effects in one stretch of framing stock.
R.G.

Karmasound

I went to home depot, but the only studs they had were small.

I have a friend that has a metal shop. I think i'll go and just buy a sheet of AL or steel.

I was thinking of using that for the top and bendong it around to the back, L- shaped.

Using some 5/8 ply I have around for the bottom and maybe for the sides and front piece using stainded oak. It would look kinda like a console mixer. Of couse I would make a top cover and have the patchbay and controls on top.

I would like to house a proteceted power strip inside, using a godlyke power supply to split up the load.

And a direct power link for my Mctube.

then just using a 3 prong amp cord to power it all up and a master on off switch.

Would it be ok to house the power inside the console?  Maybe make a metal box for it to sit in shielded from the other circuits?

shwing 8)

Karmasound

I forgot to mention that my mom is into cake making an decorating.

She has these cake pans that come in various sizes that would be awesome for rack stuff or amp chassis, even effects.

14 gauge AL with welded seams 8)

They might be alittle pricey though.

Khas Evets

I also checked Home Depot for the 6X2 steel studs and was surprized to find that they didn't carry them. It's a great idea for cheap enclosures.

R.G.

Home Depot, like most big box stores, carries only the skimmed cream of their specialty. They will only have the 25 gauge thin ones.

For the 18 gauge steel studs, you need to go to a professional building part supplier. This will take some detective work. I located two suppliers here in Austin. I suspect that every city of over 0.5M people will have a supplier. The advantage is that once you locate the source, they are **cheap**. Look for "metal framing" and "construction supplies" in the phone book and on line. The detective work will take you an hour or two on the phone, but it's not only worth it, it's good education for finding unusual stuff.

I was given my 2x8 steel stud, as one end was bent. A new, straight one would have cost me $12, and provided enough material for half a dozen rack frames.
R.G.

Khas Evets

Not to take this thread too far off topic, but I'm thinking about trying R.G.'s idea and inverting it. See the pic.

http://tinypic.com/2k24pv

The upside is that you can mount the jacks on the sides. The downside is having a gap between pedals all the way around, rather than just on top.

Is it a problem if you don't shield the open sides? I think R.G. recommended using a wood cap.

R.G.

That works too. The only thing I had against that is that you have to drill holes for your effects in the solid back plate, and when you come up with a new MegaBlaster, you can't easily pop in in.

That's what pushed me to panels on the open side for effects.

I used the same channel for a version of my Spyder power supply and ten power channels.

Two of these (one power, one effects) spaced out by a 2" angle with some plywood in the middle to hold effects that can't be panelized make a good pedal board.

You should put a bottom plate on the open side. The ends are not too bad for hum and radio pickup, although sealed with metal is better.
R.G.