What kind of pot for ajusting volume on wah

Started by tclixx, April 03, 2005, 12:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tclixx

What kind of pot would you use to add a ajustable volume control to a wah.  Have a pretty good idea how to hook it up but some info on it would be helpful to make sure. I figure you would just put a pot with a certain size resistor where the fixed resistor goes.  How would you decide what size resistor to use?

NaBo

Try 100k log.  Most every stompbox you see uses that for a volume pot.  Wire it with lug 1 to ground, 2 to output jack(through bypass switch), 3 to effect out.  Should work!

ESPguitar

Quote from: NaBoTry 100k log.  Most every stompbox you see uses that for a volume pot.  Wire it with lug 1 to ground, 2 to output jack(through bypass switch), 3 to effect out.  Should work!

And that won't suck tone?

RB

tclixx

In other words a 100k audio pot like what goes in a guitar only smaller at 100k?

tclixx

Well what I really want to do is to put a ajustable resistor pot of some kind in place of the fixed 68k resistor that controls the volume in a wah on the PC board. This is what I have seen other doing but I don't know what kind of pot this is exactly. Most of them i see are very small & you ajust it with a screw driver. Is it a ajustable pot that is a resistor itself? if so what is the name of it so I can look for one.

sir_modulus

I'd say the best thing to do is to put a 100K pot on the output of the cirucuit. To do this, put the old output of the circuit to the first lug, the new output (switch, output jack, whatever) to the mid (wiper), and the third lug is grounded. A Log (audio) pot works best for this.

Quote from: ESPguitar
And that won't suck tone?

No, it won't. At max volume, the pot is acting like a short circuit, and is basically doing nothing at all.

The little pots (so tiny that they usually have a screwdriver slot, or a tiny wheel to adjust) are called "trimpots".

Cheers,

Nish

tclixx

Well don't like having a volume pot sticking out the side of a wah. They can get turned with out even knowing it and and you go to turn your wah on at a gig and you can't even hear it or it's to loud. The suggested mod for this resitor was to change the 68k to a 47k and I did this and it made it just a hair to loud when turned on. I will just experiment with a little bigger resistor than the 47k until I get it just right and then it will be just right when I turn it on and I won't have to worry about a volume knob getting turned or always set right. I don't like these wahs with all the ajusting knobs sticking out. I like wah to be just right when you turn it on with out ajusting stuff.