Smallest clean booster to build into an existing effect?

Started by hilbi, April 03, 2005, 05:01:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hilbi

What is the smallest clean booster wich you can build inside an effect to get a volume (boost) control?
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

MartyMart

My guess would be an LPB-1 circuit, you can get that to be very small .

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Gringo

Cut it large, and smash it into place with a hammer.
http://gringo.webhop.net

NaBo

If you're stressing the "clean" part, maybe an AMZ mosfet boost?

Stand the resistors on end and it's just as tiny as an LPB.  There's a perf layout in my gallery if you want.  Using a greenie for the 0.1uf output cap would reduce the size a bit too.  I left some room above that cap to tack on a current-limiting resistor on the 9V+ for an LED too, so it should be possible to squish things a bit more for your puposes.  I wasn't concerned with size when I made it so much as quck-and-easy-to-solder-ness :P

LPB's great too though ;)

petemoore

Messin' with boosters? YUpp...
 You can just string parts around, 'hanging garden style' taboo, but some of my early builds and purchases used this method.
 Input and output caps can go on pots or switches, board size can sometimes further be reduced by reducing it...but you end up with a very tight knot, especially if there's any debugging to do.
  I USE space sometimes Above the board...reach arounds and diagonals...I just avoid long dangling chains of crossover or seriesed parts...resistor body between tranny legs [over empty socket lug] etc, ...lol. ..or 5 pin socket row for a Q's EBC & output cap,
  Look at all the links, they's boosters all over round here...
  you can paste parts wheyever there's a space next to something solid..
 So after reducing methods are planned, most of the boosters can be built ona very small board, some start with lower parts count.
 A far as which one, I just try to figure what I want/need, and relate that to the frequency response/gain ratio, how much do I really need or what will I want to do.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.