My new BSIAB2! (with Pics)

Started by JerryP, April 04, 2005, 04:00:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryP

Having just completed my BSIAB2, I thought I would post a couple of pictures and some comments on the build. I have followed the parts list more or less to the letter except for a couple of small differences like a 470K log pot for the drive (couldn't get a 500k) and a 270pf C1 instead of 250pf.

Below are a couple of pictures of the completed pedal with a view of the internals too. One thing I should explain is the 'sub-board' on the right hand side. I purchased most of my parts online and when the caps turned up, found that the 2 1uf's were huge! I could of used some electrolytics I know but thought I would try the films so created a small board to mount them and connect via wire to the main board. I was slightly worried about the possible impact of the length of the additional wiring but on first try it seems ok. Similarly, my wiring to the pots is on the long side but I haven't noticed any detrimental effects (yet!).

The sound is really good although due to restrictions in the house(!) I have yet to try it through the amp speaker properly and so far only through headphones which I find is never the same. Still, first impressions are good and I look forward to cranking it up properly!

One thing, when I came to adjust the 100K trimmer to find that 'sweet spot', I could not notice ANY difference no matter how much I turned the screw either way. Anyone suggest why not? Have I damaged the trimmer? (I did have to remove it and resolder at one point). I haven't yet had time to check the voltage readings.

The graphics are done using a method I have used before. I do the layout in Freehand MX paying particular attention to dimensions etc. then print it off and laminate it. I cut out the complete graphic and it is glued to the enclosure. I then put several layers of clear lacquer on the top of the pedal being careful to make sure the edges are fully sealed which stops the edges (especially the corners) of the top laminted sheet lifting. I actually use brush on clear lacquer (Humbrol mini tin number 35) I find it a better way personally and brush marks are not a problem. All in all, a very good solution for me.

Oh and in case anyone was wondering about the graphics, I got the inspiration from a bottle of brown sauce (a famous dinner table condiment) available here in the UK! Thinking about it I perhaps should have used this for the 'Brown Source' but the 'Brown Sound.....' got me thinking and it went from there!

Look forward to any comments, particularly on the trimmer issue??

Regards

Jerry

MartyMart

Nice build Jerry !! I love the "HP sauce" logo ...
Thats a lot of wire, but if you have no problems.......
The bias trimmer just stops the sound from being "splatty" and cutting off.
So if you dont have that problem then dont worry, your bias is within range.
You may have damaged it if you heated it up way too much, but that's unusual.

BSIAB II is a great circuit, enjoy it when its LOUD !!

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

JerryP

Thanks Marty, everyone in the house was wondering why I was sat at the PC with a bottle of HP in front of me!

Yes there is a lot of cable and unfortunately I couldn't turn the board around due to the placing of some components and the jack sockets otherwise they would have been much shorter. Anyway, seems ok.

Interesting what you say about the trimmer, I do get a touch cutting off but only a very low levels. If I strike chords good and firm no problem but if I very lightly touch the strings you can sort of hear a bit of cutting off. Perhaps I might try a replacement trimmer, we'll see.

And yes, looking forward to trying it loud!

Jerry

MartyB

j0shua

Very Nice work :) i like the BSIAB the original, have very good distortion and easy to change the tone in ( 1000Pf  cap )