News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

DIY Cables

Started by tatems, April 04, 2005, 07:17:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatems

I was thinking about making my own cables because i want to save. I'm not sure on what cable to buy. I've found to cables but i'm  not sure if they will be alright.

http://www1.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=WB1530&CATID=22&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=543

I have found this one from jaycar

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/425122760a4a4626273fc0a87f9c06ba/Product/View/W2035

and this one from Dick Smiths

They are both the same price. Any ideas on which one i should use?
It is I, Murdock the Mind Stealer

scottosan

The capacitance seems kind of high on htat capble.  You can find cable in the US with like 22pf

Peter Snowberg

Do you need stereo cables?

There's much better wire available for instrument cables, but it's mostly mono.

Look for cable with a conductive plastic shield for the lowest noise.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

gtrmac

Canare GS-6 is good stuff. It goes well with the Canare F-15 1/4" plugs.

WorkBench

Try the Belden 9271!
All good things in all good time

TheBigMan

I use Klotz LaGrange GY107 cable for cables, and Sommer Spirit for patch leads, with Neutrik jacks.

barret77

Hey, this is something I'm interested in;

how to build a monster-quality cable with a budget price?

Can anyone recommend on line stores with cheap quality parts (here in US)?
What brands have the best cost/benefit?

thanks for any hint!

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Ed G.

Quote from: WorkBenchTry the Belden 9271!

I'm ordering some of that stuff. The capacitance is like 12pf per foot, which is lower cap than even George L's.

barret77

nice, is there a cable suggestion from the partsexpress store?

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

tatems

Do you have to have a ground connection with the cables? Or can you just have the one wire?

niftydog

you must have at least one ground connected. The concensus at the moment (I think) is to have it connected at the output end of a cable. However, this is sometime hard to keep tabs on because you need to label the ends and check each time you plug in.

There are other methods involving coupling capacitors etc... google is your friend, my friend!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

tatems

I just made one lead and its sounding great.

It has a tiny bit of noise but thats when it's turned up quite loud  :)

amonte

Excuse my ignorance on this, but it is something I really want to try, so I'm going to risk looking foolish to get a better understanding of what I need/need to do.

First, how looking at the images of the cable, I only see the one lead.  What exactly would be connected to ground at the output end?

Secondly, what is considered the best cable for doing this?  I'm not interested in buying a spool at this point (rather try it first and see how the results come out), but I can't find the capacitance for the ProCo cable.  How much of an advantage is there between the 55% and 99% shielded cables?  

Is there something in particular that I should look at as far as a jack is concerned?  Neutrik seems to come up a lot.

Finally, I tried googleing this a few times and came up emtpy.  Can you tell me what you guys are plugging in to get hits?  

Thanks, and sorry for all the questions.  I was thinking about doing this for a while, and I just had a lead go on me today, so it seems like a good time.

Fret Wire

Does this help any?
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~binhtrin/patch_cable.htm

The plastic tubing helps prevent shorts, but you should also use shrink wrap.

Another source of cable.
http://www.markertek.com/ProdList.asp?cat=CABLESCONN&subcat=BULKCABLE&prodClass=AUDIOBULK&search=0&off=
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)