What Fuzz Face should I build?

Started by Ringwraith, April 04, 2005, 02:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ringwraith

I see there are a number of Fuzz face versions out there to build.
Which one would you guys recommend??
I'm not interested in the SI version.
I'm thinking of this one
http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/fuzzface/fuzzfacelayout.gif

Any suggestions??
Does SB have the AC128 trannies?
I see he sells FF matched sets but which ones?

Also I was curious how the FF differs from the TB MKII Pro soundwise??

Thanks
Sean

petemoore

No linki...can't see schem
 AXIS FACE...Fuzz Central
 I build 'em all on one board.
 Socket the caps and transistors, put a 20k or so trimpot where Q2C resistor 'was'.you should be able to bias in most transistors that sound good with the FF
 Maybe a 50k-100k trimpot as Q1CR also...if you can get Joe Davissons Analog Alchemy to come up, look for the FF 'calculator' and you can see what resistances can be used for setting up bias in FF's using different transistor types and gains.
 I suggest Ge's [finikky...might need to try 'some' for optimized performance...following the Hfe 'guide' for transistor gains] and I can solidly recommend getting some 2n2369 transistors for prime candidates as Q1.
 2n4401's
 2n3904's
 BCxxx's...
 ...there are many good "#'s for Q2 FF transistor candidates...mostly the gain of the transitor determines what it'll sound like, interviewing different units as 'candidates' for the Q1 and Q2 position is also ...done.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Triffid

A fuzz face with 2 matched germaniums (q2 gain from 100 to 180 and q1 gain about 60% of that) , input cap blend, and input "bias" pot sounds brilliant IMHO.  Make sure to bias the base of q2 (50k trim, .5v) and collector of q2 (10k trim, 4.5-5v) and in that order.   Oh, and .1uF output cap.

That is my favorite fuzz sound anyway.

R.G.

What a silly question!

This is a DIY forum. Build all of them!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

I think the GGG "Boutique Fuzz Face" sounds good, with Ge transistors, of course.

MartyMart

I've built just about all of them !!
I recommend Axis Face and small bears 2 knob tonebender.
Also got great results from Roger Mayers FF with NPN germaniums, AC127's so wired as negative ground/reversed caps etc.
I bought a bunch of 128's and 127's and seemed to have more `'pairs" in
the 127's .... !!
Socket i/o caps, trannies and use trim pots, that helps a LOT !

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Karmasound

Quote from: Paul MarossyI think the GGG "Boutique Fuzz Face" sounds good, with Ge transistors, of course.

I just built that onthe other day and it sounds great.Ac188 q1 Ac 128 q2

I found also that when boosting w/ the rangemaster the 2.2 input cap sounds pretty good.

How much effect do the other caps have, haven't got around to those yet.

What exactly is the input blend?

phillip

You may want to consider the Axis Face Silicon Revision 3.  It's designed to sound almost exactly like a Germanium model with Silicon transistors...I've A/B'ed the Axis Face Ge. and Axis Face Si. together and they're almost identical...the Silicon version just wasn't as muddy as the Germanium version thanks to the smaller input capacitor value.

And best of all, the Silicon transistors are cheap! :)  I've used [Q1/Q2] PN2369A/2N3904, PN2369A/BD139 and BC108B/BC108B and they all sounded excellent.  The higher your gains go, the more aggressive your fuzz is going to be.

Phillip

robbiemcm

Quote from: R.G.What a silly question!

This is a DIY forum. Build all of them!

Some of us may not be quite so lucky as to have all the components lying around. I have to go out and buy the components for each project and stuff, a pedal costs me about AU$30 - AU$40 to build, with enclosure and all.

mojotron

I'll 2nd the PNP PN2369A/2N3904 combo!  :D That is a good sound.  

I used the - ground circuit for building the Boutique Fuzz off of GGG. I added a 30pf cap to the colector/base junction on Q2 (use 50pf for a '70 pedal sound). Also, use a 100k output pot as well....

I built both the Ge and Si versions, I like the Si version better with the PN2369A/2N3904 combo. My favorite combo was 2 BC109 transistors - but they are not as easy to find as the PN2369A and 2N3904.

Ringwraith

Thanks guys!
So many to choose from! hehe
I'll be trying more than one eventually. :-)
The Germanium Axis looks interesting with all the add ons.
Hmm what to do what to do.... <G>

I feel like a kid in the candy store with a pocket full of change! LOL
I've got about 6 peds on the want list so far!
The Rangemaster is for sure next up to bat.
I want to order parts for 2 peds but haven't decided what the other will be yet.

Sean

Doug_H

Joe Gagan's Easy Face is one of the simplest and sounds great. His "pre-gain" control is much more effective than the typical "fuzz" control in the emitter circuit of these kinds of fuzzes. After you've lived with it for a while you will want to mod it like I did with his "pre-tone" control too. This thing is so flexible now that it is ridiculous. I have not built any other FF type circuits because the ones I have breadboarded have not been significantly different or better than this one. IMO, of course.

Doug

Ivana

IMHO GErmanium FF!  8)  With pregain and pretone or switched input cap.

mikabodcrane

Has anyone ever built the YAFF (Yet Another Fuzz Face) from Jack Orman (AMZ)?
Regards