finished wah 1st project.

Started by tclixx, April 04, 2005, 09:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tclixx

Here is a picture of the wah I modified with the help of a few people here on the forum. First project I ever did and this forum really helped a lot. I didn't know anything about anything when I started and I know a lot more than I did, which still isn't a lot but I'm learning. Well I thought I would share the fruits of my labor with everyone.

Mods.
1. Bypass switch
2. Led light - put on front left so I can see the light when my right foot is on the pedal.
3. 9V adapter with the electrolite cap & resistors so no power surge or noise - put on front right.
4. Changed inductor to fulltone
5. Vocal mod 90k resistor
6. Bass & gain mod 330 ohm resistor
7. Mid mod 2k resistor
8. Volume mod 53k.
9. 2 Tropical Fish .22uf Caps
10. 1 Xicon polystyrene .01uf caps
11. Sweep mod - 1 polystyrene .01uf & 1 .0033uf wired in parallel
12. 2 BC109B transistors

To me what made the biggest difference is the vocal, inductor & transistor mod. But the combination of everything else really made it sound exceptional. I was really surprized at the difference the transistors made. The pedal had a little distortion of it's own before the transistor mod and they really smoothed the tone out to. Nice & throaghty sound now. Decided against any trim pots. What's the need to ajust stuff when it sound like you want it to. Thanks again for the help.

Picture url:
http://members.tripod.com/~igson/wah.html

Pedal love

LoudGreg

It was adding the bypass switch to my crybaby that got me started as well.

Everything you've listed here is something I want to try soon. (I'll be calling you when I'm ready  :lol: )
Guitar player not a tech............

ethrbunny

I did several of these mods to my gcb-95 but didn't get much payoff from them. Sounds like your results have been much better. Ill have to revisit this.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

ninoman123

Yeah my Vox wah is sounding like....crap...maybe Ill try some of your mods. I did add a pot to change the Q value and I dont hear much change at all. Its a linear 100k pot in there, eventually I'll try a log pot but I dont use my wah much anyways.

trjones1

I just finished a complete rebuild of my wah (after destroying it years ago trying to install true bypass as my 1st project) and I was amazed at how much difference different transistors made.  I tried bc108b's, bc109c's and mpsa18.  The other two were alright, but the 108b's really made the wah sound great.  I'd recommend socketing the transistors and trying out a bunch of different ones.  Next order from small bear I'm going to get some 109b's and maybe 109a's just to try them out.

Ed G.

I've got bc109c's right now. What is the biggest tonal diff. you find with the bc108b's?

trjones1

Well, I'm at work now, so I'll have to do this from memory, but the bc108b's gave a little more depth to the wah effect, basically making each "wah-wicca" stand out more.  Also added some sponginess to the sound.  Sorry, I don't know any more precise way of putting it.  I felt the other transistors made the effect a little too subtle (relatively speaking).  The 108b's make it better suited for some farther out type sounds.  Of course it's probably all a matter of personal taste.  The transistors are only about $.70 each, so I figured there's no reason not to experiment.  

By the way Ed, I just built a BSIAB II.  What a fantastic circuit.  It's become my main distortion sound.  Thanks.