Boss BD-2 New Synth fuzz mod...

Started by wampcat1, April 05, 2005, 12:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wampcat1

Dragonfly

dang Brian !!!

thats a pretty cool fuzztone! gonna have to play with that one :)  (hmmm...caps on switches....)  :

rock on !

andy

wampcat1

Quote from: Dragonflydang Brian !!!

thats a pretty cool fuzztone! gonna have to play with that one :)  (hmmm...caps on switches....)  :

rock on !

andy

Thanks Andy!

Take care,
Brian

bwanasonic

One cap clearly goes from Q10 to R29, but the cap that runs from Q9 is unclear. I'm guessing the near leg of C22? I have a BD2 mouldering in a box of neglected effects. It really deserves a better fate, and synth fuzz sounds right my alley.

Brian, Thanks in advance for something I'm bound to have some fun with!

Kerry M

wampcat1

Quote from: bwanasonicOne cap clearly goes from Q10 to R29, but the cap that runs from Q9 is unclear. I'm guessing the near leg of C22? I have a BD2 mouldering in a box of neglected effects. It really deserves a better fate, and synth fuzz sounds right my alley.

Brian, Thanks in advance for something I'm bound to have some fun with!

Kerry M

Hi Kerry,
the other one goes from the far north leg (for lack of a better description) of Q9, and connects to the same leg of R29.
Hope that helps! :)

Thanks,
Brian

MartyMart

That sounds fantastic Brian !!
Nice one  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

bwanasonic

Just soldered this one up this morning. I used a mini DPDT toggle right below the gain pot, and mounted two 1uf metal film caps on a piece of perf. It's a lot of fun, and works really well with a wah in front of it. It starts *getting  sick* if I turn the gain pot past about 10 o'clock (low freq. oscillation and flatulence). While testing I found some interesting sounds leaving off the connection to Q10, where the note would *destabilize* during sustain. I went with the mod as pictured when I boxed it up though. For anyone with a BD-2 laying around, try this one out.  With a Floyd Rose/ SD humbucker equipped Ibanez and a Dunlop 535Q wah, I was able to get some "Steve Vai losing his breakfast" sounds. It's also good for thick, sustained *pad* sounds.

Kerry M

Peter Snowberg

Very cool Brian! 8)

Hey Kerry, how about using a DPDT center-off switch that connects both caps when switched one way, but only one when switched the other way? :D

I love effects that capture "destabilization"!
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

wampcat1

Thanks! I was actually just poking and prodding with a cap, and happened upon it, so it was all luck! :D

Thanks,
Brian

bwanasonic

Quote from: Peter Snowberg
I love effects that capture "destabilization"!

I always loved Tommy Bolin's solo on Billy Cobham's "Spectrum" album. By fiddling with his echoplex, he got the effect of notes imploding and self-destructing. I was also heavily damaged by the mid-70's Miles Davis live in japan albums. Guitarist Pete Cosey's solos would at times ascend to the mothership. I used to get this effect with a stereo fuzz wah (run in stereo).

Kerry M

bwanasonic

Another follow up on this mod. Got to test the functionality of it in rehearsal and recorded a bunch of it. I hope to post some clips soon. In the context  of the electronic improv stuff I'm using it in, it works really well. The wound bass strings, especially the 6th string take on a really thick sound, that seems like it has an added fifth. It has a really interesting dynamic responsiveness overall. I have tried it now with a few different guitars, and it works well with both low output single coils, and moderate output humbuckers. I don't have any high output or active pickups to test with so YMMV. It really benefits from added dynamic touches like volume pedal and wah (and of course ebow) for extra synthy goodness. I must also mention that Tim Escobedo's Tripple Fuzz is simply wonderful as a fuzz / distortion enhancer. Use it apres dirtbox of your choice.  

Thanks again Brian!  8)

Kerry M