True Bypass not true?

Started by Big Red, April 05, 2005, 02:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Red

Hey guys, I've decided to move my first project into a proper enclosure, so I bought a DPDT stomp switch and box from smallbear.

anyway, the distortion works fine, but when I switch to bypassed mode, it is really quiet, the unamplified guitar is probably louder then the signal coming from the amp  :D

I tried resolder the bypass wire, and also tried using better quality wire with no result.

I was wondering if anyone knows what is going on and how to overcome this problem. I can take some pictures if that could help

Thanks

j0shua

Get some pics, pictures spoke than 100000 words :)
and is a good help to see details

Big Red

I think they are going to be big, sorry, they may take some time to load

hows this?

Big Red

Just moving this up a little

Alex C

Since the distortion part is working fine, we can assume the wiring between the input/output jacks and the switch is okay.  This leaves the jumper between the other two lugs or the switch itself as possible culprits.  If you have a multimeter, check for continuity between the center lugs and the "bypass" side when the switch is in that position.

Big Red

yeah, thats what I was thinking, I have a meter around somewhere, I'll check that out. thanks

trjones1

Just a shot in the dark here, but it looks like you have the volume pot wired after the switch.  That would make the volume pot affect both the effect signal and the "bypassed signal."  Without the extra gain added by the effect, the volume control turned down will make the "bypassed" signal quiet.  Does the volume of the bypassed signal change when you turn the volume?  Try hooking the volume pot up before the switch, ie, go from the out of the board to the volume pot, then the out of the volume pot to the switch, then the switch to the output jack.

Alex C

Yes, trjones is correct.  I saw it go to the pot, but it didn't register.

lethargytartare

looking at the switch as it is in your picture, with the blue wire on the right, the middle top lug should be wired directly to the output jack's signal lug, and the end-of-circuit wire coming from the board should go to the volume pot and then the volume's other lug should be wired to the upper left lug on the switch.  [So:  disconnect the blue wire on your volume pot from where it attaches to the output jack; disconnect the clear wire from the pot's red wire; now connect that clear wire to the output jack; disconnect the clear wire from the upper-left lug on the switch and reconnect it to the blue wire from your pot.  Finally connect the red wire on your pot to the upper-left lug on the switch.]

cheers!

ltt

Mark Hammer

Note that a great many "classic" effects were designed so as to compensate for the loading that mere SPDT switching would impose on the signal path.  You wouldn't be the first person to find out that yanking the SPDT stompswitch out of a vintage pedal, and replacing it with the highest quality DPDT or 3PDT stompswitch money can buy (and TBP wiring) yields a volume *drop* in bypass mode, despite the fact that effect/bypass volume balance seems to be perfect without TBP.

My money is on the pot-between-switch-and-jack solution in this instance.

Big Red

I tried what trjones1 said, and I rewired all the offboard to be safe and so it would look better and everything seems to be working fine!

the volume pot in the pedal doesent effect the bypass volume so I can set the distortion louder which is neat, and I can control the distortion level with the volume pot on my guitar :D

I'm very pleased, and would like to thank everybody for thier help!

I think I'm going to try the orange squeezer next, then maybe a tube screamer

oh what a deal to get it all in the box though :o

MartyMart

Well done !
I just made an Orange squeezer for someone, with 3DPDT/LED 9volt socket/battery and switchcraft jacks in a 1590B ..... tight fit indeed !!
It took me two hrs to fit it in/wire it all up neatly... :roll:

He's very pleased with it though  :D

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com