"Fuzz" knob built into the amp.
Thanks.
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

Clipped

From the ROG faq:

QuoteCan I use one of your FET-based distortions to drive my Ruby or Little Gem amp?

When placing any distortion circuit before a 386-based amp, you need to keep the output volume at the same level as the dry guitar signal. Otherwise, you'll overdrive the 386 and lose the character of the distortion.

To Each His Tone.

vfr800fiman

Quote from: ClippedFrom the ROG faq:

QuoteCan I use one of your FET-based distortions to drive my Ruby or Little Gem amp?

When placing any distortion circuit before a 386-based amp, you need to keep the output volume at the same level as the dry guitar signal. Otherwise, you'll overdrive the 386 and lose the character of the distortion.

Sorry, I missed that tidbit  :oops:

Translated this means I can ditch the 100k audio pot, and
use a fixed value resistor, as long as it matches the guitar
signal?
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

NaBo

You could.  You must consider that guitars have different output levels though...  pickups have different output levels...  different notes have different output levels!  So it's not so critical to match any given dry signal, its finding the point at which whatever you're using with it won't put out enough signal to overdrive the LM386, then cutting a bit more, just to be sure you don't start OD-ing it when you really give the strings a good whack, or change them, or something.  ... This is why pots are good  :wink:

And maybe your niece might want to overdrive the 386 with the fuzz sometime.  :twisted:

Test it out first... could just sound like muddy gross crap... but sometimes fuzzes and distortions can sound good overdriving something.  Either way, it's another sound to stuff in there.

You could also go with a fuzz with gain knob that cleans it right up, with a volume.  Then it can be used as a fuzz and a bit of a booster to get some more crunch outta the 386.  Alternatively, you could use a toggle switch to switch in/out clipping diodes... and different level pots (or just use a dual gang) before the Ruby, so there's a clean boost and fuzz channel.  In other words, has she been a good girl this year? :P