Soldering Iron Temps

Started by dosmun, April 06, 2005, 01:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dosmun

I recently got one of the CS soldering stations (finally).  I was wondering if there is anywhere that would list what some suggested temperature settings for different applications.  It is nice to have the different temps but it sure would be nice to know what the optimum setting are without guessing.

vfr800fiman

I have a Weller that I mostly use 700 degree (F) tips on.
Seems like this works for 90% of the stuff I'm doing, like
pedals and amps.
YMMV
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

syzygy

Is it a digital one?  
QuoteSolder melts at about 620-675 degrees F unless you have solder paste for SMD parts, or a lower temp. solder for SMD parts.

This quote was taken from here.

vfr800fiman

Quote from: syzygyIs it a digital one?  
QuoteSolder melts at about 620-675 degrees F unless you have solder paste for SMD parts, or a lower temp. solder for SMD parts.

This quote was taken from here.
What is your definition of digital?
If your referring to the knob with the LED temp readout, then
no. But if you mean that the temperature is controlled via
feeback from the tip to maintain temperature,
(closed loop servo) then yes.
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

syzygy

I meant do you have a digital display.  So I guess you have the temperature readings on the knob and give it time to set itself to that temp.  A digital display would come in handy if you're watching your temperature that closely.

bwanasonic

The booklet that came with my solder station lists a melting point of 215C/419F for 60/40 solder. Listed for *normal* operation is 270-320C/518-608F. *Production line operation* is listed as 320-380C/608-716F. For desoldering smaller joint: 320-360C/608-716F. For a larger joint: 370-400C/698-752F .

I have found these guidlines to work well.

Kerry M