Using 4066 IC as a dpdt switch

Started by filterazonatie, April 06, 2005, 02:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

filterazonatie

Okay, I'm trying to understand the potential use/wiring of a 4066 as a true bypass dpdt switch... Please tell me if this is right..

1. a 4066 is essentially a 4PST switch.
2. If two pairs of controls are wired together, I can toggle back and forth between states.
3. The pin outs look like this:
      ______
1/i  | .      . | v+
1/o | .      . | 1ctl
2/i  | .      . | 4ctl
2/o | .      . | 4/o
2ctl | .      . | 4/i
3ctl | .      . | 3/i
Gnd| .      . | 3/o

4. If I connect control 1 to 4, and also control 2 to 3, I can use the following wiring to get a dpdt switch with led:

1/i: Input
1/o: Send to effect
2/i: wire to input for bypass state
2/o: wire to output for bypass state
3/i: Ret from effect
3/o: Output
4/i: to LED neg
4/o: to ground

Will this work?

THANKS, this IC stuff is new to me.

filterazonatie

As a follow up, can the following work, in theory:

1. Use a 4017 to toggle between three states
2. Each state turns on 2 switches, one on each of 2 4066 ICs
3. So each 4066 chip has one of 3 switches toggled on.
4. The first 4066 has the input wired in parallel to the 3 switches. Whichever switch is triggered controls the Send to one of 3 effects.
5. The second 4066 controls the corresponding Returns from the 3 effects

So A) Would this work? B) If so, this would essentially create a true bypass 2P3T switch, right? and C) could the 4017 handle controlling two switches and maybe an LED for each effect as well?

Thanks!

ESPguitar

filterazonatie

I guess my mouth is writing checks my brain can't check... :oops:

Let me start simply.

I have 3 mod pedals that I want to control with one small bypass pedal at the bottom of my board. I only ever use one at a time, and thought it would be cool to have a bypass pedal for all three with an on/off switch and a toggle switch to choose between all three.

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a relay that chooses one of three loops by toggling between them on a single switch. Hence the insane (and futile?) effort to make a 2p3t switch...  :?

filterazonatie

Thanks for the CD4053 article! Perfect! Now if only I understoof the 4017 circuit a little better... :?

David

Quote from: filterazonatieThanks for the CD4053 article! Perfect! Now if only I understoof the 4017 circuit a little better... :?

Also read the "Wicked Switches" article on Andrew "the tone god"'s site.   I breadboarded this one and I will swear it works.  I just haven't built one into an effect yet.  All you would do is replace the switch and timing circuit with the 4017 output.  I haven't tried this, but I've bounced the idea off some other people.  In theory, it would work.  I'm sure similar changes could be made to R.G.'s 4053 bypass as well.

filterazonatie

Quote from: David
Quote from: filterazonatieThanks for the CD4053 article! Perfect! Now if only I understoof the 4017 circuit a little better... :?

Also read the "Wicked Switches" article on Andrew "the tone god"'s site.   I breadboarded this one and I will swear it works.  I just haven't built one into an effect yet.  All you would do is replace the switch and timing circuit with the 4017 output.  I haven't tried this, but I've bounced the idea off some other people.  In theory, it would work.  I'm sure similar changes could be made to R.G.'s 4053 bypass as well.

David,

Thanks. Actually, that article is where the idea came from.

The one question I have left (for now...) is can the voltage-high signal from the 4017 drive 2 ICs in parallel? How about 2 IC's *and* and LED?

donald stringer

http://photobucket.com/albums/v172/troublerat/   Go to this page and it shows how I got a dual effect loop with a guitar in and out utilizing one 4066 and one 4049 [and drives led indicators. Look at picture 8 of 8. While this may not exactly answer your question. This may helpin some way. The 4017 will drive an control pin def. not sure about two. to drive and led on most schematics that I have seen it shows assistance to drive an led from an transistor[3094 would do. or you could run it through an inverter[4049] and that should drive the led with no problem. The 4066 can easily do an dpdt. I am still awaiting some further feedback on the counter idea. On the picture 8 of 8 while it does work maybe it could be improved with some capacitors on input or output. On my counter idea I originally wanted something similiar to yours I wanted it to count up through maybe 4 effects but my 4017 must have been damaged through static and my 74hc373 is the wrong chip for this purpose. FWIW I am thinking of chaining flip flops together to achieve the count. instead of using 4017 to toggle between the two states you can use a cd4027 or cd4013 dual flip flop or cd 4049 as I have done above in the drawing 8 of 8. Keep us posted on what you come up with.
troublerat