Future Floor Finish?

Started by robotboy, April 07, 2005, 10:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotboy

I found this older thread about using future floor finish as a clearcoat for your enclosures.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=35

I was wondering if anybody has tried it and what the results were? I have some rustoleum crystal clear enamel that I'm considering using, but I want the most durable finish possible. I've got a project that's totally complete aside from the clearcoat step, and I don't want to screw it up on the last detail. I guess I could do 3 or 4 coats of spray on clearcoat, but it seems like the brush on stuff might be more durable in the long run.

ninoman123

Floor finish is usually just a poly clear coat in a can. Poly is durable and so is enamel. Make sure when buying floor finish that you dont buy it tinted i made that mistake

bwanasonic

Future is an acrylic floor *wax* that is really not designed to be permanent. It's also made to be applied to flat level surfaces, so getting even coats on the vertical sides of an enclosure is problematic. It can come in handy for various hobby tasks (modeling, etc.), but it's not very useful for stompbox purposes.

Kerry M

LyleCaldwell

No, it's a dessert topping.
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

bwanasonic

Pedal love

NO, ITS A DESSERT TOPPING AND A FLOOR WAX! :lol:

travissk

Since everyone else was off at Musikmesse, I took a break from classes and headed over to the local hardware store. The guy there said that Future is good stuff (for floors at least), but if you're on a budget, there is a cheap alternative.

Beware... it starts to crack after a week, sucks your tone (from the outside of your pedal!), and was produced using exploited overseas labor. In other words, they're at it again!

(There went 30 minutes of my life  8))

PB Wilson

I've used it on a few of my pedals. It has held up fine with no cracking, yellowing or scuffing. The chips that always occur on pedals were down to the metal and not because the top coat failed. It's thin and runs down the sides easily, but I have no problem using it. It's cheap and much safer than any spray coat except water-based finishes.

robotboy

Quote from: travisskSince everyone else was off at Musikmesse, I took a break from classes and headed over to the local hardware store. The guy there said that Future is good stuff (for floors at least), but if you're on a budget, there is a cheap alternative.

Beware... it starts to crack after a week, sucks your tone (from the outside of your pedal!), and was produced using exploited overseas labor. In other words, they're at it again!

(There went 30 minutes of my life  8))

And only a 60% rate of cancer in lab rats!

AL

Floor wax? dessert topping?  :lol:

New Future, for the greatest shine you ever tasted!

AL

object88

Quote from: travissk(There went 30 minutes of my life  8))

Brilliant!

mojotron

Quote from: ALFloor wax? dessert topping?  :lol:

New Future, for the greatest shine you ever tasted!

AL

And, a darn good prophylactic!!   :oops: