SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

gyrator wah

Started by strungout, April 08, 2005, 10:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strungout

Oy.

I had some time to kill, and put this together:

I like how it sounds and its a pretty simple build. It--eventually--came to me that I could probably get it to notch as well, by connecting the wiper of a pot to the 33n cap and stringing it across the "+" and "-" inputs...but all I get on the "+" input is a drop in volume, no wah. Any suggestions? Maybe I just need a hotter signal?

This is just for fun anyway.

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

R.G.

Although that circuit looks like the typical "across the inputs" EQ circuit, they are not similar enough to work as you suggest. Different operational principles.

Although they're not a direct answer to your question, for background on why this is so, read both of "The Technology of Wah Pedals" and "Simple, Easy Graphic and Parametric EQs" at GEO.

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/wahpedl/wahped.htm
http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/EQs/paramet.htm
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

strungout

Ok, I'll have a look at those.

Thnx!

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

Transmogrifox

In the schematic it looks like the LED is in backwards.  Obviously, if the wah works, you put the LED in correctly in your circuit---just thought I'd make a note of that in the event somebody else builds it.

If you get the enough Q in the notch (it only takes a Q of 1), and a a depth of more than 20dB, then the filter will generate a nice little subtle swish, phase chorus sound.

Check out this concept for ideas:  

www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/haha

and for some audio samples:

http://www.geocities.com/transmogrifox/hawaudio.html

If your wah works as a wah, then put an inverting unity output on it, then connect it according to the HawaH circuit.  Replace the 500k resistor on the input of the inverting op amp stage with a 500k pot in series with a 10k resistor to increase the Q.  I think you should be able to adjust it from very subtle to where the circuit goes unstable and oscillates.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

strungout

Oy.

Transmogrifox:

I fixed the schematic, thnx for pointing it out. I liked the clips, but I haven't got around to trying the stuff you mentioned yet. I decided I needed to finish some other projects first. They feel left out : P

Ciao.